Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2015, 02:47 PM   #1
lovetoreef
Registered Member

Stand construction question

I am in the process of building a wood frame stand for a 60"x30"x24" tank ... I generally prefer to keep the middle as open as possible ... can I use double 2-6's for my top cross members and avoid using any vertical cross pieces? I have tried to find some plans for stands, but, I am striking out so far - any suggestions?

Current Tank Info: planning nano AIO
lovetoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 02:56 PM   #2
TotalReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoreef View Post
I am in the process of building a wood frame stand for a 60"x30"x24" tank ... I generally prefer to keep the middle as open as possible ... can I use double 2-6's for my top cross members and avoid using any vertical cross pieces? I have tried to find some plans for stands, but, I am striking out so far - any suggestions?
My stand is a 48" so don't take my advice to heart. That being said I saw some people talk about using Engineered lumber as compared to regular 2x6's. They are much more stiff and hopefully wont warp/flex over time. Worth looking into!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150 Mixed Reef
TotalReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 02:59 PM   #3
lovetoreef
Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reply ... I did find the one stand design thread and it recommends 2x8's ... I would think if I cross block them, that would eliminate any twisting/warping? certainly if I were to double up?

Unread 08/03/2015, 03:45 PM   #4
booyaa138
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my stand. My tank is 60x18x24. I used no center braces at all. I just followed Rocketenginer's template.

After I skinned it

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 03:46 PM   #5
lovetoreef
Registered Member

very nice - did you end up going with 2x6's or 2x8's?

Unread 08/03/2015, 03:47 PM   #6
booyaa138
Registered Member

2x6's for the top and 2x4's for the rest of the stand

booyaa138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2015, 07:42 PM   #7
ericarenee
Registered Member

Not sure if you can see it very well but my Avatar pic has my 7 foot tank . There is no center support brace.. What you see in the middle is to support the shelving because of the heavy tile on 1/2 ply shelves then concrete..

Anyway the top is a 2x4 box with a 2x6 lam beam on the front Supported by 2x6 on each end.. Wrapped with ply and screwed / glued together The back of the tank sits on a 2x4 header sitting on top the wall that was cut out. The back of the tank is accessible from the bathroom behind it
Double up 2x4 on the front or a 2x6 will be fine... Just screw it together not nails and be sure your vertical suppers are done as Jack studs as in the pictures posted above..
Also during building use a LARGE Framing square and cross measure. (top right corner bottom left) to insure its square NOT a level....

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2015, 12:36 AM   #8
sleepydoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
Just screw it together not nails and be sure your vertical suppers are done as Jack studs as in the pictures posted above..
Also during building use a LARGE Framing square and cross measure. (top right corner bottom left) to insure its square NOT a level....
+1 to most of the comments above. I would adovcate screwing and gluing, especially if you're using 2x lumber. Although it's kiln dried, I've seen some dry and shrink a bit over time, leading to the screw holes getting a bit loose.

I made a stand for my 120 out of hicory and put a double 1x5 across the 4' top IIRC. It's totally with no give whatsoever

Unread 11/26/2015, 11:53 PM   #9
mnkykng77
Registered Member

lovetoreef: Did you end up building your stand? If so did you use 2x6 or 2x8? I'm in the process of planning/building my next tank and have the same size tank as yours.