Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/24/2015, 08:46 PM   #1
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

A co-op of marine breeders?

Maybe this is a bit idiotic, but are there any co-ops of marine breeders? Kind of like ORA, but more of a hobbyist-led organization? I know that some marine fish just aren't suitable for commercial aquaculture because of their requirements for spawning, etc. So are there any organizations that advertise certain breeders. Kind of like "Oh here, this person raises dottybacks. That person's in charge of gobies. This person has X varieties of clownfish." "Oh, this person lives in City, State, you can arrange a purchase through this person" ? Would this make a good business idea? Since saltwater breeding's harder than freshwater breeding, it makes sense to band together, right?

ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 08:24 AM   #2
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I don't know of any co-op, but there are a lot of clown fish breeders in Dallas.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2015, 06:18 PM   #3
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Does marinebreeder.org fit your bill?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 08:35 AM   #4
lawdog75
Registered Member

From memory there used to be a cichlid cooperative based in Israel where breeders had leased a premises as a group and individuals could breed and raise various breeds that were then sold by the co-op at agreed pricing. This group distributed internationally - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the group.

Each member of the co-op leased there breeding mini farm on a user pays system. I believe they received a grant to kickstart the idea.

Probably off the mark but interesting nonetheless.

lawdog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2015, 05:25 PM   #5
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

@Muttley000, sort of not really. I feel that it's more of an information based site, which helps breeders, but doesn't really organize them together.

lawdog75, I think you're right on the mark! Can you tell me more?

I apologize for sending this so late. I recently moved to college, and I've only just had downtime.

ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 02:29 PM   #6
GreshamH
Registered Member

there was talk on a fwew breeder forums but the logistics prohibited it. The US is just too big.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote