Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 09/16/2015, 06:53 AM   #26
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener
 
DiscusHeckel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sheffield, UK
Posts: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'll give that a go, thanks.

Edit: 16.99 for 1L 15mm Siporax, 11.95 shipping to Canada, 3.29 import fees. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

None ship to Canada.
That is too expensive. You can get it 9.99 for 1 L elsewhere. Whether or not you can have it shipped to USA/Canada is another matter.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Siporax.JPG (25.8 KB, 246 views)
__________________
Featured Tank OCT 2016 | "Reef Hobbyist Magazine"
TOTM OCT 2016 | "Ultimate Reef", UK
FB | "/troutsReefTank/"

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; Tropic Marin [NP-Bacto-Balance; A-, Reef Actif]; GAC
DiscusHeckel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 08:16 AM   #27
Myka
Reefing since '93
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
That is too expensive. You can get it 9.99 for 1 L elsewhere. Whether or not you can have it shipped to USA/Canada is another matter.
Oh, I see what you mean now. Still, it's the cheapest thing I've bought for my tank in recent memory. Heck, the total cost is less than a bag of sand.


__________________
~ Mindy, SPS addict.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Aquaforest balling (only) since Apr 18/16.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 08:56 AM   #28
rovster
Registered Member
 
rovster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 7,494
LOL at price. I paid $42 shipped for 2L which should be good on my 120 gal system. Going to take it slow. I wonder if I should cure the stones? Or just throw them in there and go!


rovster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 09:26 AM   #29
Myka
Reefing since '93
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 2,434
You guys say Siporax works better if you seed, how are you guys doing that? Do you just mean running them on a different system or in a live rock tub or dosing bacteria into the input of the Siporax filter or...? Can't you just put them online and they will start to work after some weeks?


__________________
~ Mindy, SPS addict.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Aquaforest balling (only) since Apr 18/16.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 09:31 AM   #30
pstank1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
LOL at price. I paid $42 shipped for 2L which should be good on my 120 gal system. Going to take it slow. I wonder if I should cure the stones? Or just throw them in there and go!
There should be nothing on them to cure, just give them a good rinse and add them to your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You guys say Siporax works better if you seed, how are you guys doing that? Do you just mean running them on a different system or in a live rock tub or dosing bacteria into the input of the Siporax filter or...? Can't you just put them online and they will start to work after some weeks?
It takes a few months for a good bacteria culture to start growing on the media, you can speed up the process by a month or two by adding live bacteria to your tank. I think Sahin used prodibio and the zeovit bacteria cultures to get his tank going. The brightwell stuff would work as well from what i've read.


pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 09:36 AM   #31
Myka
Reefing since '93
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstank1 View Post
It takes a few months for a good bacteria culture to start growing on the media, you can speed up the process by a month or two by adding live bacteria to your tank. I think Sahin used prodibio and the zeovit bacteria cultures to get his tank going. The brightwell stuff would work as well from what i've read.
Yeah I don't really see any reason to seed it. I use Prodibio in my tank already anyway.


__________________
~ Mindy, SPS addict.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Aquaforest balling (only) since Apr 18/16.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 11:48 AM   #32
port43
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
I moved from Virginia to Oklahoma in early 2014. I had to sell my reef tank rather than risk killing everything. Neighbor had her own tank maint business and was rather good at reef keeping. So I sold it to her for a good deal.

I never ran a sump on that tank for 12 years. I always ran a canister with half matrix rocks, half eheim substrat pro- NEVER had phosphates or Nitrates. Ever.

The LFS owners around town couldnt believe it. I told them I would put $50 store credit on the table if he could bring any test kit to show my tank has phosphates- he could even come in person.

I won that bet.

It DOES produce quite a bit of bubbles as it does its conversions- just a heads up.

I just started up a 70gal reef with a sump (this time) and am working on implementing more of the matrix rocks around the water coming into the sump. No canister....yet.


port43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 12:23 PM   #33
sahin
Ultimate Reefer
 
sahin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Received 4L of matrix stones today so you better have this bacteria hording magic beans thing right Sahin........
If they work, you are getting me a frag of that Firetruck acro...

If they dont work. At least you have loads of pod mansions in the sump. I'm sure all the pods will appreciate it.


sahin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 12:37 PM   #34
pstank1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
If they work, you are getting me a frag of that Firetruck acro...

If they dont work. At least you have loads of pod mansions in the sump. I'm sure all the pods will appreciate it.

I wouldn't worry about it Sahin, Andrew doesn't even update his tank thread anymore. I bet he's sold off all his corals, donated the money to his local orphanage and is living a life of subsistence farming in the outback with the 'roos and Crocodile Dundee.


pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 02:22 PM   #35
biom
Registered Member
 
biom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Belene, BG
Posts: 115
I prefer liquid carbon dosing over siporax/matrix media because i believe that in our tanks (except Denadai's tank with plastic rocks) there are plenty of space for bacteria to flourish, but the limiting factor is carbon. I've tried siporax (pond version) and zeroed nitrates for couple of months, and then I noticed something like "competition" for bacteria between live rocks and siporax, it seems that in low carbon environment bacteria prefer siporax over live rocks and heterotroph bacteria were out-competed from cyanobacteria which covered most of live rock surface.


__________________
<")))><
Stoyan Mihov

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty. The pig likes it.
biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 02:31 PM   #36
ifarmer
Registered Member
 
ifarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by biom View Post
I prefer liquid carbon dosing over siporax/matrix media because i believe that in our tanks (except Denadai's tank with plastic rocks) there are plenty of space for bacteria to flourish, but the limiting factor is carbon. I've tried siporax (pond version) and zeroed nitrates for couple of months, and then I noticed something like "competition" for bacteria between live rocks and siporax, it seems that in low carbon environment bacteria prefer siporax over live rocks and heterotroph bacteria were out-competed from cyanobacteria which covered most of live rock surface.
liquid carbon dosing, do you mean vinegar, vokka or zeostart3?
thanks


ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 02:34 PM   #37
biom
Registered Member
 
biom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Belene, BG
Posts: 115
Vodka/vinegar, zeostart, NOPOX , they are all the same


__________________
<")))><
Stoyan Mihov

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty. The pig likes it.
biom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 02:43 PM   #38
ifarmer
Registered Member
 
ifarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York City
Posts: 235
does anyone know how much of the matrix rocks to use on the 75g tank?
how often to change out the rocks?
we i use the mechanical filter to house the rocks? or does it require the use of the reactor.
i currently dosing a few drops of zeostart on every time (after) I do the water change (twice a week on water change).
thanking in advance.


ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 02:59 PM   #39
port43
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
it says 1L for 100gal i think, in the description, and its designed to be used in a canister type filter- but Im sure you can put it in a high flow area of your sump.


port43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2015, 09:59 PM   #40
nemodan
Registered Member
 
nemodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
Received 4L of matrix stones today so you better have this bacteria hording magic beans thing right Sahin........
Andrew..... The fuge with Macros and Matrix addition recovered my tank from the nutrient crash. I do not have any other method of exporting nutrients.....just biology. And worked .

Cheers
Daniel


nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2015, 01:43 AM   #41
biggles
Registered Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodan View Post
Andrew..... The fuge with Macros and Matrix addition recovered my tank from the nutrient crash. I do not have any other method of exporting nutrients.....just biology. And worked .

Cheers
Daniel
Thanks Daniel, your SPS display actually helped me make up my mind to give the Matrix a whirl

I just dosed the display with Polyp Lab Colors for the first time so i'm going to wait a week before adding the Matrix to see if the wizard potion does anything cool. I'm going to put all 4L of Matrix in the sump after a quick RO rinse to get the bio stuff happening while i make the pulse flow media reactor........ it will be sprayed black which dampens underwater noise and looks cool.


__________________
Andrew
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2015, 09:35 AM   #42
Myka
Reefing since '93
 
Myka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 2,434
For Canadians, I found the cheapest place for me was eBay seller wttomy1 from Austria. €6.90 for 1L Siporax, and about €20.00 for shipping. Works out to about $40 Canadian. I ordered 2L - one to try myself, and one to try on a client's tank.


__________________
~ Mindy, SPS addict.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Aquaforest balling (only) since Apr 18/16.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2015, 06:44 PM   #43
MichaelW
Registered Member
 
MichaelW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kirkland WA
Posts: 1,061
So how many are actually using the matrix media. I'm guessing as it's similar to having extra live rock in the sump there wouldn't be such a thing as too much? I may be wrong. Are you basically using it as added surface area for nitryfying bacteria?


MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2015, 06:57 PM   #44
naterealbig
Premium Member
 
naterealbig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,199
There couldn't be to much. The bacterial colony size will grow and shrink to match the amount of nutrients in the tank. I just ordered a 5 gallon bucket of it. I'm going to run it externally initially, slowly remove my live rock, and then move it all to my sump. I'll never have to cycle a tank again . By the way, I currently have a 65 gallon.


__________________
My skimmate has notes of saffron, and a hint of lilac.
naterealbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2015, 07:14 PM   #45
MichaelW
Registered Member
 
MichaelW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Kirkland WA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterealbig View Post
There couldn't be to much. The bacterial colony size will grow and shrink to match the amount of nutrients in the tank. I just ordered a 5 gallon bucket of it. I'm going to run it externally initially, slowly remove my live rock, and then move it all to my sump. I'll never have to cycle a tank again . By the way, I currently have a 65 gallon.
That's exactly what I thought about it not being possible to have too much.


MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2015, 09:40 PM   #46
nemodan
Registered Member
 
nemodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
So how many are actually using the matrix media. I'm guessing as it's similar to having extra live rock in the sump there wouldn't be such a thing as too much? I may be wrong. Are you basically using it as added surface area for nitryfying bacteria?
Correct.... I added it in every corner I have a flow of water. Today I took all the bags from my HOB fuge, shake them well in a bucket with my WC water. They were full of feather dusters. And returned to the HOB fuge. That cleaned them a little after 6 months of use.

After adding the bags back I had more space so I added another bag of new matrix. Like adding more rocks but more efficient due the the surface area ratio.

Cheer


nemodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2015, 04:28 AM   #47
M007
Acro Whore
 
M007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,631
Just packed enough Siporax in my luggage for my 250, heading back to Toronto tomorrow, should be an interesting experiment Some good info http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...744289&page=19


__________________
Mixed reef emphasis on SPS. Tangs, Triggers, Bartlets, CBB, Goldflake Angel, and a Pigmy or two.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.

Last edited by M007; 09/21/2015 at 04:52 AM.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2015, 05:37 AM   #48
M007
Acro Whore
 
M007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,631
More http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...744289&page=28


__________________
Mixed reef emphasis on SPS. Tangs, Triggers, Bartlets, CBB, Goldflake Angel, and a Pigmy or two.

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2015, 10:41 AM   #49
pstank1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 247
Next time, please book your flight with a layover in St. Louis so you can get some for me too


pstank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2015, 06:59 PM   #50
rovster
Registered Member
 
rovster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 7,494
Soaking in RO now....



rovster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014