Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/03/2017, 09:53 AM   #801
acesq
Registered Member
 
acesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 1,394
Its fine where you have it Cody. I have mine all over my sump in bags and baskets -- high flow and low flow areas. Every six months or so I dunk them in a bucket with tank water while I'm doing a water change.

I would add the extra 10l if you can fit it. It can't hurt.


__________________
Current tank: 340g AGE peninsula
acesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 10:32 AM   #802
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener
 
tripdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: near chicago,Ill.
Posts: 643
To Cody's question.... Siporax, or any similar media, are self regulating, therefore you can't "have too much". It is only going to allow a place for bacteria to grow, how many grow is dependent on nutrients available. Also, as I said in your thread Cody, it takes time to come online. It is not instant. This is both good and bad. Bad because your in a hurry to get nutrients down, good because slow changes are the safest changes. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.


__________________
Scott


Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 12:26 PM   #803
rtparty
Raise The Reef!
 
rtparty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
so I added 10l of siporax on Monday to my sump, I added it under my skimmer but left around 4 inches above it for my skimmer and 1 inch under it. Is this a fine area for it?

Also I am thinking of buying another 10L to add or do you think 10L is fine for my 180gallon DT? my nitrates are very high at the moment.
I think the first step needs to be to address why they are so high? Is it simply not enough biological filtration or are there are things at play?


__________________
Ryan

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 03:06 PM   #804
codydemmel4
Registered Member
 
codydemmel4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Center Valley PA
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Its fine where you have it Cody. I have mine all over my sump in bags and baskets -- high flow and low flow areas. Every six months or so I dunk them in a bucket with tank water while I'm doing a water change.

I would add the extra 10l if you can fit it. It can't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
To Cody's question.... Siporax, or any similar media, are self regulating, therefore you can't "have too much". It is only going to allow a place for bacteria to grow, how many grow is dependent on nutrients available. Also, as I said in your thread Cody, it takes time to come online. It is not instant. This is both good and bad. Bad because your in a hurry to get nutrients down, good because slow changes are the safest changes. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
I think the first step needs to be to address why they are so high? Is it simply not enough biological filtration or are there are things at play?

Thanks guys and yeah I know it takes awhile.

It is because my bioload is large and I feed a good amount to keep them healthy. Which is why I am using siporax to get that lower. I am looking into dosing vinegar a little bit to get them lower to the 20s at least till the siporax comes online or will dosing vinegar stunt how fast the siporax starts working?

I also just upgraded my skimmer to the Bubble Magus B11 which has been a beast and I think will help too.


__________________
-Cody

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 03:48 PM   #805
acesq
Registered Member
 
acesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 1,394
I dosed carbon while my siporax was getting seeded. I think it is beneficial since it increases the amount of bacteria. I no longer dose carbon. Instead, I occasionally dose Nitrate to keep it at my target of 5 ppm. I still dose small amounts of different brands of bacteria every week or two to keep the diversity.


__________________
Current tank: 340g AGE peninsula
acesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 04:18 PM   #806
codydemmel4
Registered Member
 
codydemmel4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Center Valley PA
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I dosed carbon while my siporax was getting seeded. I think it is beneficial since it increases the amount of bacteria. I no longer dose carbon. Instead, I occasionally dose Nitrate to keep it at my target of 5 ppm. I still dose small amounts of different brands of bacteria every week or two to keep the diversity.
this is exactly how I want to be when my siporax gets going. What bacteria do you dose?


__________________
-Cody

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2017, 05:27 PM   #807
acesq
Registered Member
 
acesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 1,394
Iíve used Zeobak, Bio-mate, probio S, pro bio F and Microbacter7. Right now Iím alternating between the two KZ products and the Aquaforest Pro bio F.


__________________
Current tank: 340g AGE peninsula
acesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2017, 10:03 AM   #808
bigzman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Tampa FL
Posts: 2,809
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Its fine where you have it Cody. I have mine all over my sump in bags and baskets -- high flow and low flow areas. Every six months or so I dunk them in a bucket with tank water while I'm doing a water change.

I would add the extra 10l if you can fit it. It can't hurt.
I have on my 330gallon tank 12 liters of pound matrix and 4 liters of regular matrix. At first after 6 weeks Nitrates went down to under 10ppm. Now after 6+ months my nitrates do not go below 25ppm. I don't have coral in tank yet because of these high levels. I tried to boost it with small vodka dosing 4ml per day and a week of adding stability. I feed heavy but and I thought with that much bio capacity I should have been good. I just started a fuge and considering the below.

1. Should I remove the regular matrix and try only pound matrix?
2. Should I add more?

I did cut back on feeding and that made a big difference but not very happy fish lost 3 anthias. I also now have twice the amount of fish.


__________________
330g SPS - LED/T5 - EShopp S-300 Skimmer - 4 x Jebao PP20- reefkeeper elite

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2017, 02:57 PM   #809
acesq
Registered Member
 
acesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
I have on my 330gallon tank 12 liters of pound matrix and 4 liters of regular matrix. At first after 6 weeks Nitrates went down to under 10ppm. Now after 6+ months my nitrates do not go below 25ppm. I don't have coral in tank yet because of these high levels. I tried to boost it with small vodka dosing 4ml per day and a week of adding stability. I feed heavy but and I thought with that much bio capacity I should have been good. I just started a fuge and considering the below.

1. Should I remove the regular matrix and try only pound matrix?
2. Should I add more?

I did cut back on feeding and that made a big difference but not very happy fish lost 3 anthias. I also now have twice the amount of fish.
I would add more. The rule of thumb I used for Siporax is 1L per 25g. I don't think size of the product is a huge deal. I use both the small and large Siporax.


__________________
Current tank: 340g AGE peninsula
acesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2017, 04:22 PM   #810
Pife
Registered Member
 
Pife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
I have on my 330gallon tank 12 liters of pound matrix and 4 liters of regular matrix. At first after 6 weeks Nitrates went down to under 10ppm. Now after 6+ months my nitrates do not go below 25ppm. I don't have coral in tank yet because of these high levels. I tried to boost it with small vodka dosing 4ml per day and a week of adding stability. I feed heavy but and I thought with that much bio capacity I should have been good. I just started a fuge and considering the below.

1. Should I remove the regular matrix and try only pound matrix?
2. Should I add more?

I did cut back on feeding and that made a big difference but not very happy fish lost 3 anthias. I also now have twice the amount of fish.
What are your phosphates? If they are too low your nitrates will not come down.


__________________
Brandon


I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 80 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2017, 06:50 PM   #811
ReefKeeper64
So it goes
 
ReefKeeper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,026
I agree with life. Plus, remember that you can’t over do it with surface area for bacteria to grow on. Having ample surface area is a good thing.


ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 08:27 AM   #812
bigzman
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: New Tampa FL
Posts: 2,809
Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
What are your phosphates? If they are too low your nitrates will not come down.
Pife I use Seachem Matrix and pond matrix. My phosphates are barely readable.

acesq:

I have a skimmer rated for 800 gallons and I ordered 4 more liters for pond matrix.


__________________
330g SPS - LED/T5 - EShopp S-300 Skimmer - 4 x Jebao PP20- reefkeeper elite

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 09:17 AM   #813
Pife
Registered Member
 
Pife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzman View Post
Pife I use Seachem Matrix and pond matrix. My phosphates are barely readable.

acesq:

I have a skimmer rated for 800 gallons and I ordered 4 more liters for pond matrix.
When I started using this type of material I had the same issues you're having. I would suggest feeding more phosphate rich foods. And dosing probiotic bacteria. It took a couple of months but now I have a perfect balance between nitrates and phosphates. Feel free to p.m. me if you would like to discuss any of this in further detail.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk


__________________
Brandon


I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 80 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 10:15 AM   #814
codydemmel4
Registered Member
 
codydemmel4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Center Valley PA
Posts: 1,452
I started dosing 5% white distilled vinegar yesterday in my sump, but as soon as I dosed it I noticed less PE in my SPS (almost all of them) is this normal and will they adjust to this?

I only dose 15ml at a time, twice a day or should I break it up more?


__________________
-Cody

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2017, 11:07 PM   #815
ReefKeeper64
So it goes
 
ReefKeeper64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
I started dosing 5% white distilled vinegar yesterday in my sump, but as soon as I dosed it I noticed less PE in my SPS (almost all of them) is this normal and will they adjust to this?

I only dose 15ml at a time, twice a day or should I break it up more?
That depends on your total water volume but 30ml a day is likely too high for an initial dose. If you have plenty of surface area (live rock, matrix, siporax), and you have nitrates and PO4 (you need both), then start dosing slowly. I only need 1ml per day in my 160gal nowadays. I used to dose higher amounts (up to 15ml/day) but now everything is in check with less. You need to start slowly and add more each day as the bacteria population grows. Too much in one day isn't going to work.There are lots of carbon dosing threads with recommendations on ramping up the dose and how much.


ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014