Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Crush Coral
Registered Member

Eshopps ADV model refugiums. Do they work?

I bought an Eshopps ADV-200 refugium. The more I look at it the more I wond r if I just bought a box of snake oil. Anyone know anything about these sumps?

Crush Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Greybeard
Registered Member

I have an EShopps 3rd gen R100 Refugeum, similar design, but doesn't have a spot for bio balls, which I wouldn't have... Flow through the system is actually quite nice. After the splashdown compartment, half the water flow goes through a sock, then to the skimmer compartment, where it flows back into the return chamber. The other half flows from the splashdown compartment into a refugeum chamber, and from there to the return chamber. I've removed the filter pads that it came with between the baffles... just don't like that sort of thing.

I've only been running this system for a couple of months, but I like it so far. One issue I do have, if you want to use a submersible return pump, the return compartment is small (3.5"x7"), and has a built in ATO float, which takes a bit more of an already tight space. Either drill, and use an external pump, or look a the more compact return pumps.

Flow through my sump is about 400gph, gives a nice, slow flow through the skimmer and ref compartments. On my 60g tank, that's about 6x tank volume per hour, which is about what I wanted.

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 08:41 PM   #3
fish flipper
Registered Member

I just picked up a brand new rs-200 and a rs-75 off craigslist for $125 for both. Brand new in the box never even opened!

fish flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Crush Coral
Registered Member

Greybeard, so my main concern was that the filter sock would not work well and also that the water would not circulate well through all the compartments. You have found that I do not have to worry about those two things?
What a deal on those two sumps. Where they warm to the touch?

Unread 09/18/2015, 10:44 PM   #5
fish flipper
Registered Member

Warm to the touch?

fish flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Crush Coral
Registered Member

"Hot" stolen?

Unread 09/21/2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Greybeard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush Coral View Post
Greybeard, so my main concern was that the filter sock would not work well and also that the water would not circulate well through all the compartments. You have found that I do not have to worry about those two things?
'Don't worry about it' isn't something that I would say... your worry level is up to you

In my case, I find that the filter sock does what it's supposed to do... all water headed for the skimmer compartment goes through the sock. Water headed for the ref compartment does not, which I like... feeds the refugeum critters better that way. Flow through my sump appears to be about half through each water path. I have to judge that on watching the overflow from the ref and the skimmer compartment into the return pump compartment, I haven't made any attempt to measure it, but it seems to me to be fairly even amount of water coming from both sides.

Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 12:58 PM   #8
chefdesanto
Registered Member

I've had the Adv-200 now for 5 months. It replaced a homemade sump I had on a 100 gallon tank that has been stable for 2 years.

I really loved the sump design when I purchased it.

I threw some rubble in the bottom, and LED fixture on top and a ball of chaeto in.

After a couple days I realized the chaeto wasn't spinning. Then a brown algae bloom formed in the refugium. I threw a small pump in the refugium section to spin the chaeto, cleaned up the algae by hand scraping. No effect.

The algae is a constant bloom in the refugium section only for the past 3 months.

I definitely think there is a design flaw in the flow to the refugium. I am contemplating cutting some additional flow holes in the sectopm, but haven't decided where yet.

chefdesanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2016, 05:43 AM   #9
billbunton
Registered Member

I had an ADV-200 for a week. (Well, actually I had it for a couple months, but after the first week it was sitting in the back yard). In mine, it appeared about 80% of the water was going through the refugium section. There was also enough water splattering all over the place that I had terrible salt creep. I pulled it out and replaced it with a Trigger Systems sump.

billbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2016, 06:12 AM   #10
mikeatjac
Registered Member

I am very dissatisfied with mine. Had to make lots of modifications and still not happy. I will be replacing it soon.

mikeatjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2016, 07:03 AM   #11
Mark426
Registered Member

Several other better choices than the quirky Eshopps design at similar costs.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote