Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2015, 07:29 AM   #1
toothybugs
In Memoriam

Help me deduce this

I picked up a trio of Maximas at the end of August. They never opened very fully from the start and since then have retracted a bit. They still open every day but not a lot, two of them open maybe 3/8" and extend the mantles only to the rim of the shell. The other opens maybe 5/8"

I think my flow is okay, they get indirect SPS flow, and my chemistry is keeping some sticks going:

Salinity: 1.026 (refractometry)
Temp: 78-79
Ca: 420-430
Alk: 8.1-8.2
Mag: 1450ish
NO3: < 5
PO4: < 0.05

Lighting: 2x BML 20K strips w/ 75deg lenses @ 57% fixture strength (max 50% whites and 60% blue/ UV) for 9h daily plus 1h either side for dimming (blue/ UV only)

Pretty sure nothing is pecking at them and I can't seen any critters on the mantles. But I could be wrong, I will admit that.

Thoughts as to what else would be causing the retractions?

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

I'm not sure but the nitrate may be the problem. If that is not, try moving them closer to the light and see if they do better.

Bogue Chitto is offline   Reply With Quote