Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/08/2017, 09:02 AM   #451
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build



This is what I'm using. When I fold it and put on the clip, I cut slits into it so when they pull on it they're getting a max of 2 inch long "skinny" slit. Haven't had any issues of it breaking apart. I believe it was 100 sheets on Amazon for like $14 or $16.

I can take a pic of the "prepared" nori on the clip with the slits if you'd like.

The only issue I have is occasionally the leopard wrasse pulls off a slit and then just lets it go. But the tangs get it, only have seen 2 so far that made it to the overflow.

I don't know that it's staying together better or if it's because of how I "prepare" it with the slits. Here is the amazon listing:




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Last edited by MrsReefK; 11/08/2017 at 09:07 AM.
MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 01:19 PM   #452
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
My advice was inaccurate. I do NOT suggest the brand mentioned previously. I didn't realize we were still using the older package and hadn't opened the amazon pack yet. I do NOT suggest the brand I listed. I just put it in the tank and wow it breaks apart just in the current. I'll be ditching all 98 of these sheets in the trash and going back to the old. I'll get the other name brand after work. The "other" was great, no issues of it Falling apart at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 09:09 AM   #453
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

The clowns in QT laid eggs in the PVC pipe. I am strongly considering hatching and raising the babies. We have the extra tanks and equipment to raise them. Researching now and maybe will have our first group of babies soon if I decide to pursue. This is the first time our clowns have laid in an accessible, easy to remove place. We have yet to go a week without eggs, but they're usually on the glass.

I don't think I'd do it regularly, but trying one batch sounds fun, and a good challenge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 09:19 AM   #454
McPuff
Registered Member
 
McPuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
My advice was inaccurate. I do NOT suggest the brand mentioned previously. I didn't realize we were still using the older package and hadn't opened the amazon pack yet. I do NOT suggest the brand I listed. I just put it in the tank and wow it breaks apart just in the current. I'll be ditching all 98 of these sheets in the trash and going back to the old. I'll get the other name brand after work. The "other" was great, no issues of it Falling apart at all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I have also used the fold and strip method which seems ok. The nori doesn't really just break apart but after the fish tear it apart there is plenty of shrapnel that floats around. Just thinking that a thicker/less flexible nori may work better but just a thought. It would also mean it takes the fish longer to eat it which can be good as well. More grazing time. Anyway, no worries!


McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 11:26 AM   #455
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

I've decided it's time to remove our first full colony. First time I'll be removing or fragging any SPS. Grew all of our corals from just 1" frags and this bad boy is an easy 16-18" across already. I don't like the way it's growing, not tight together like I wanted. I'm ordering a new "next level up" of SPS this week of 15 frags. A few of them will go in this big guys place and should fill in nicely.

Feels surreal pulling out a full SPS colony, seems like just a few months ago it was tiny!

Taking it to LFS for credit this weekend. We'll see what they give. The last load of softies we took there we came out wayyyy further ahead than I expected. We'll see what they do with this guy!

I may have to break the colony into two, I'm not sure it will fit out the top openings of the tank. We will see!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 11:31 AM   #456
iced98lx
.
 
iced98lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post

Feels surreal pulling out a full SPS colony, seems like just a few months ago it was tiny!

I may have to break the colony into two, I'm not sure it will fit out the top openings of the tank. We will see!
That's a great feeling!


__________________
Chris

180 Gallon In Wall
iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 07:24 PM   #457
OurCoralReef
Registered Member
 
OurCoralReef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReefK View Post
The clowns in QT laid eggs in the PVC pipe. I am strongly considering hatching and raising the babies. We have the extra tanks and equipment to raise them. Researching now and maybe will have our first group of babies soon if I decide to pursue. This is the first time our clowns have laid in an accessible, easy to remove place. We have yet to go a week without eggs, but they're usually on the glass.

I don't think I'd do it regularly, but trying one batch sounds fun, and a good challenge.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Pictures please


OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2017, 11:31 PM   #458
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Pictures please


Definitely! Will take some tomorrow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 07:16 AM   #459
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Pictures please

Here's the eggs!





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2017, 06:14 PM   #460
OurCoralReef
Registered Member
 
OurCoralReef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 230
Very nice
Beautiful parents as well
Keep us updated
Would love to see what the babies look like good luck


OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2017, 01:09 AM   #461
Jeramirez85
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 50
Nice job on the clowns awsome setup by the way


Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2017, 08:28 PM   #462
Mrs. Music
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sylvania, OH
Posts: 603
That is a pretty cool shot of the eggs and parents.


__________________
Midwest Custom Acylic 180 gallon, 2 AI Hydra Twenty Six HD, Tunze 6055, remote custom 75 gallon sump with chaeto refugium, Pan World pump, Reef Octopus INT 200 skim
Mrs. Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2017, 07:09 AM   #463
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

Thanks!. I didn't make it to LFS for rotifer and everything to raise these babies I'll get the next batch and try to hatch them!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2017, 02:45 PM   #464
Ojos22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 116
Getting the clowns to spawn in the first place is amazing! A tip for those who use Nori and don't like that it breaks so easily and is messy in the tank. Just leave the bag open by the tank. When you seal it, the moisture is kept out. If you leave the bag open after a few days the Nori will not be as brittle. It will definitely help reduce the mess but is not perfect. Keep up the nice work!


Ojos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2017, 03:10 PM   #465
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos22 View Post
Getting the clowns to spawn in the first place is amazing! A tip for those who use Nori and don't like that it breaks so easily and is messy in the tank. Just leave the bag open by the tank. When you seal it, the moisture is kept out. If you leave the bag open after a few days the Nori will not be as brittle. It will definitely help reduce the mess but is not perfect. Keep up the nice work!


Thanks! Both of my pairs are currently spawning. Typically have two sets of eggs like clockwork almost every 14 days from both pairs. Only 1 pairs eggs are accessible, which thankfully are my nicer looking clowns. Although my other pair is a typical orange and a black/white (sorry, don't know technical names). Would be neat to see how their babies turned out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2017, 12:01 PM   #466
MrsReefK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 923
Hah! Could they be any cuter? Canvas' of the kiddos came in today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2017, 07:55 PM   #467
saf1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: California
Posts: 1,821
@MrsReefK - must love dogs. That is our motto.


__________________
-saf1

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder w/LEDs (Upgrade in progress. 30" H x 54" W x 30" D 240 or so gallons)
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014