Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/24/2015, 06:47 PM   #1
migo2191
Registered Member

4 stripe damsel

What's up everybody, just wondering if anybody has any good advice or getting my damsels to breed? I've had them for 1 year now

migo2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 07:07 PM   #2
DanDashO
Registered Member

Damsels are slow growers, they may not be sexually mature yet. Many species are not hermaphrodites, so be sure you have a male and a female.

DanDashO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 11:08 PM   #3
DanDashO
Registered Member

So I just did some research, and Dascyllus damselfish (I'm assuming your fish are Dascyllus melanurus) are protoginous hermaphrodites, meaning females can develop into males.
A 'pair' of damsels really just means that the male won't kill the female, she still isn't allowed anywhere near his territory, except to spawn.
As for getting them to spawn, I would add some live blackworms to their diet. This got both my clowns and damsels to start spawning. (:

DanDashO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2015, 07:17 PM   #4
migo2191
Registered Member

Thanks alot I'd be sure to try it

migo2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 01:14 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I had a spawning pair of Dascyllus trimaculatus and those guys where with around 5 inch huge (and meaner than junk yard dogs).
I got them for free and only took them because they were spawning. I kept them in 1000 liter tank in which I stored live rock (I wasn't crazy enough to put them with other fish).

I wouldn't expect them to spawn until they haven't at least reached half to 3/4 of their maximum size of 4 inch (nor would I look forward to that if I had other living things in the tank).

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote