Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 12/14/2015, 03:22 PM   #1
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Severely Bloated Melanurus Wrasse

Team RC...

Stumped on this one. All of my fish go through QT with cuppramine, prazi, and whatever else is needed depending on the fish and it's help when acquired. I see no sign of disease or stress from any of my fish separate of the occasional charge from my Sailfin, or my cleaner wrasse harassing my parrot fish as it pecks at it's reflection in the glass.

It's been several months since I've added anything to my tank, and no negative reactions from anything since then.

I've had my melanurus wrasse for several years now. Always been a very healthy and active fish. Within the past 2 weeks, I started to notice that it's getting bloated. Very much so. His stomach is huge. I do see it poop from time to time, and it looks normal, but not as much as it used to. Now it's starting to become lethargic. It still eats like a pig at feeding time, but doesn't cruise the entire tank like it has in the past years. Not sure if it has a bowel blockage, or something like that. No other fish are showing this issue, and don't show any signs of discomfort.

Edit: His mouth is constantly open, and he breathes rather erratically. Also finding him sitting on the sand bed from time to time...

Thoughts???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloatedwrasse.jpg (55.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg bloatedwrasse2.jpg (57.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg bloatedwrasse3.jpg (49.7 KB, 63 views)
CedzAquAddictio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2015, 02:05 PM   #2
bc1281
Registered Member

Sounds like it could it be dropsy. I had a flame angel with dropsy. It didn't make it.

bc1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2015, 03:20 PM   #3
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. That seems to be a very good lead. I found him sitting on top of the sand-bed last night after lights out and he is normally buried. He was still alive, very alert, and breathing. It's probably close to his end, and I'm probably not going to tear down my tank to get to him unless I catch him out again. I probably should have nabbed him last night when I had the chance.

Next question... None of my other fish are showing these symptoms, but from what I've read, it is possible for it to spread. I'm so stumped as to what caused this. All of my fish go through a very strict QT. Is this something that can have been introduced by something else? What are the chances of it spreading?

Thanks!!!

Old 12/15/2015, 07:50 PM   #4
bc1281
Registered Member

I guess there is always a chance that it could spread but doubt it. From the reading that I've done dropsy is a result of some other issue possible liver issues of some sort preventing the fish from proper osmoregulation.

bc1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2015, 11:31 AM   #5
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

Thanks again for your input. He's still somehow hanging in there, and eating aggressively. Doesn't swim the tank as much as he used to due to his oversized stomach. So far, no other fish are showing signs. Will continue to monitor...

Old 12/25/2015, 09:41 PM   #6
CedzAquAddictio
Registered Member

R.I.P old buddy...