Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2016, 06:15 AM   #1
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Next multi tank system design.. Opinions please!

So I'll attach the pictures I've drawn up. Everything is rough, I'm not 100% on dimensions for each tank and I may increase dimensions for top display tanks before starting.
Basically a return pump will pump to a distribution box which will send most of the water to top display tank which will in turn overflow to an identical tank below with a divider in a slightly different place. This will overflow into my main peacock tank which will feature an upside down part which will give more height for fish to utilise for example filefish which I plan on getting).
The main body will have a weir at the opposite side to the input which will fall down to a big sump in the bottom of the cabinet behind closed doors, may add an algae scrubber to that.
2 airlines will affix to the distribution box sending water to the zebra burrow on either side which will overflow via a bulkhead at the back and join at a T on one side and then drain into the weir in the peacock tank.

Sump will feature no biological filtration because I will use my hydra depurators. I will have socks and sponges around the overflow pipe. Other equipment is fairly standard such as an air driven skimmer I made, a heater and a return pump in a weir.
Other equipment includes lighting, I have 2 3 foot T5s, one for each of the top 2 display tanks, other tanks will only have ambient light and perhaps an LED light which I will only have on for photos and display purposes.

Entire system will be removable/ soft plumbed. Spearer burrow will screw in under the cabinet so I can pull out a whole U section with the animals inside if I need to move everything at any point.

What do you think guys? Any problems with my design?

EI Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2016, 06:19 AM   #2
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Good if I added the photos - here

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0683.jpg (51.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0684.jpg (42.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0685.jpg (44.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0686.jpg (45.0 KB, 38 views)
Unread 01/11/2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

looks solid to me but I'm a bit confused on the water return part.

EDIT: Oh I see now, you're going down multiple systems until reaching a "true sump".

Unread 01/11/2016, 05:23 PM   #4
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Yeah that's the idea, same system as a fish racking at an LFS essentially

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:25 PM   #5
nmotz
Registered Member

I think the only thing that I'll add is that more complexity can mean more problems. I'm sure you're capable and all, but if I'm honest I think the keep it simple stupid (KISS) method is best for mantis shrimp. But this is a really neat idea that will let you house some cool species.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 04:40 AM   #6
EI Gringo
Registered Member

I'm all with you on the keep it simple thing so I'm looking into just buying bare tanks and using a continuous syphon overflow system from one tank to the next. I also don't have the money to order glass to make it from scratch so I'd need Base tanks instead, I will keep it as simple as possible ��

Unread 01/13/2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EI Gringo View Post
I'm all with you on the keep it simple thing so I'm looking into just buying bare tanks and using a continuous syphon overflow system from one tank to the next. I also don't have the money to order glass to make it from scratch so I'd need Base tanks instead, I will keep it as simple as possible ��
Most tanks are made with tempered glass, if you're DIY, keep in mind that you can't really drill through tempered, (the bottom panel I think is the only tempered piece.)

To me it looks like some parts are going to be drilled.

One issue I'm seeing now that it crossed my mind, is what will happen when one of the pipes plug up or have stuff grow in them? since all the pipe will be exposed to lighting, stuff can grow, and if you cover them, then cleaning would difficult. While in a normal system, this is managable, the issue is that several aquariums are relying on all those pluggable pipes, one cloggs, the rest can overflow it, (you're going to have A LOT of water at the top of those tanks, two tanks with 2" off the top will probably fill 10 extra gallons in the clogged compartment. keep those water levels low.)

Put a 180 elbow pipe on the overflows, drill an airline sized hole in the top for noise and siphon control, and that should help prevent lighting.

Last edited by Calappidae; 01/13/2016 at 01:50 PM.
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 08:32 PM   #8
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
One issue I'm seeing now that it crossed my mind, is what will happen when one of the pipes plug up or have stuff grow in them? since all the pipe will be exposed to lighting, stuff can grow, and if you cover them, then cleaning would difficult. While in a normal system, this is managable, the issue is that several aquariums are relying on all those pluggable pipes, one cloggs, the rest can overflow it, (you're going to have A LOT of water at the top of those tanks, two tanks with 2" off the top will probably fill 10 extra gallons in the clogged compartment. keep those water levels low.)

Put a 180 elbow pipe on the overflows, drill an airline sized hole in the top for noise and siphon control, and that should help prevent lighting.
Add emergency/extra overflows to each tank... Just in case

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Add emergency/extra overflows to each tank... Just in case
^

Unread 01/14/2016, 03:57 AM   #10
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Thanks bro. I will be filtering at the end of each tank before the overflow plus I will be darkening those end areas as much as possible and definitely reducing noise in the way you mentioned. I'm actually going to be using a syphon overflow on each top 2 tanks. I can combat the overflow problem you mentioned by putting the return pump in a weir so if it pumps too much water up without water coming back down then it will stop pumping. Thanks guys!

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:04 PM   #11
EI Gringo
Registered Member

I'm actually going to put the overflow pipe well below the rims of the tanks too so that the water level will simply rise when the overflow pipe gets blocked a little by something so I can simply correct it

Unread 01/15/2016, 03:17 PM   #12
EI Gringo
Registered Member

So I just bought my first tank for this system from Gumtree, an 80cm length by 30cm width by 40cm height 4mm glass tank. I will be adding a baffle in the middle for the water to overflow down into the right hand side and then down a pvc overflow, might take a pane of glass out of the side and silicone it to the top to make it 40 deep and 30 high. Next tank below is lined up on eBay to buy in the next few days, just one more to find!

Unread 01/31/2016, 02:50 PM   #13
Kharn
MANTISMAN

I've been designing a new multi tank species specific system, unlike my old one that held more tanks this one holds 6 display tanks (215L - 430L each) and 5 sump tanks but the sumps are all in line once installed to act as 1 large sump.

All up around 4000L and this time it wouldn't be just for mantis shrimp.

6 Display Tanks.
- Eunice Worm (215L 2x2x2)
- Blue Ring Octopus (215L 2x2x2)
- Painted Angler (215L 2x2x2)
- Nudibranch(s) (215L 2x2x2)
- Large O.scyllarus (430L 4x2x2)
- Large L.maculata (430L 4x2x2)

The way I have it designed is the Display Tanks are split in half (4 left / 2 right) on 2 separate stands with about a 2.5ft gap between them, below and between them in that gap is the skimmer part of the sump and behind that the return, so the large skimmer & large return are positioned in parallel places for water flow of both halves of the display.

Unread 01/31/2016, 03:19 PM   #14
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by EI Gringo View Post
I'm actually going to put the overflow pipe well below the rims of the tanks too so that the water level will simply rise when the overflow pipe gets blocked a little by something so I can simply correct it
Doesn't sound like a good idea...how will you know if the water level is rising when you're not there?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2016, 08:13 AM   #15
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Well unless it gets blocked completely which is very unlikely it will just steadily rise plus the sump return section only has about 15 liters in it so it will just stop pumping as a last resort, powerheads in each tank will keep biological filtering it and oxygenating it even if the pump stops, Ive considered everything obvious that could go wrong

Unread 02/01/2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post

- Eunice Worm (215L 2x2x2)
Careful, these guys spawn crazy.. their young can make it through pumps and end up in compartments you wouldn't want them to be in.

Please take mine...

Quote:
- Blue Ring Octopus (215L 2x2x2)
Hells fire nem, Blue ring... we gotta get you some cone snails.

Quote:
- Nudibranch(s) (215L 2x2x2)
wait what kind? Are we talking sea hares, lettuces, or something more exotic like sponge eaters?

Unread 02/02/2016, 12:13 AM   #17
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Careful, these guys spawn crazy.. their young can make it through pumps and end up in compartments you wouldn't want them to be in.
Not the species I am targeting it is not the 'normal' eunice that hitch hike into tanks, there are many species of Eunice.

Quote:
Hells fire nem, Blue ring... we gotta get you some cone snails.
Cone Snails are common in Australia and not something that interests me.

Quote:
wait what kind? Are we talking sea hares, lettuces, or something more exotic like sponge eaters?
We are talking exotics and the tank will be stocked with the food before the animal(s).
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I like to think I know what I'm doing

Unread 02/22/2016, 03:19 PM   #18
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Just a few picks, sump, unplumbed unit and then plumbed unit!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0712.jpg (38.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0709.jpg (36.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0710.jpg (31.3 KB, 29 views)
Unread 02/22/2016, 03:21 PM   #19
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Tomorrow I will be testing the whole system (pvc overflows) and then by the end of the week possibly I will start moving everything across from my old tank!

Unread 02/22/2016, 07:51 PM   #20
Martini5788
Registered Member

I wish I could figure out how to plumb a system with that many tanks. Would make my life a lot easier haha.

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 08:32 PM   #21
nmotz
Registered Member

Man that makes me nervous just looking at it. Secure it well! Otherwise I'm sure it's going to be awesome when you get all the tanks filled.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 04:16 AM   #22
EI Gringo
Registered Member

It's a heavy duty rack system screwed into the wall, it can take 200kg per shelf it's a solid unit and I got it for 30 quid from Amazon, shelves are mdf

Unread 02/23/2016, 04:18 AM   #23
EI Gringo
Registered Member

The giant spearer will be living in that container in the down part of the sump btw

Unread 02/23/2016, 07:27 AM   #24
EI Gringo
Registered Member

So I have filled my 3 tanks and sump and none are leaking plus none of the pipe leaks. Couple of problems ofcourse but none unfixable;

Pump is not powerful enough as I suspected, have ordered a 2500 Lph pump to replace it, this is only designed to pump up to 2 metres and is a measly 1000 Lph.
The polycarbonate tubing I used on the overflows to monitor the water level hasn't molted properly to the end caps on 2 of the 3 overflows and is allowing air in very slowly so I have plastered sealant on some plastic wrapping and applied it around those areas, even before the sealant has set it is solving the problem.
Last problem is that my check valves are defective and are actually allowing water and air to go backwards into the CSO! Will be buying some good quality ones from Maidenhead aquatics tomorrow (that's the company I work for, a premium aquarium and livestock supplier for those who don't know, I usually shop online for cheap deals but in this case I think I'll use my staff discount :P )

So here's my view from lounging on my sofa

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0716.jpg (35.6 KB, 21 views)
Unread 02/23/2016, 07:49 AM   #25
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Molded* not molted, it is a solvent weld system.