Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2016, 08:35 PM   #1
mtk
Registered Member

Little confused.

Hey everyone,
I am new to the world of nps corals and I am just starting to learn about them so I can start a low light nano up with them. I went to a local store tonight and asked if they ever got any types of nps corals in. He pointed to two blueberry gorgs. I said I was not ready for a filter feeder like that and was more looking for dendros or different sun corals. The next thing I know the owner of the store seems to get realy mad and say they are illegal and anyone that has them has acquired them illegally and they don't support that. He says he is a direct importer and could lose his liscence if he was to attempt to bring them in. Then just stoped helping me. I'm confused So could someone please enlighten me on this topic.
Thanks

mtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 07:41 AM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

That guy's an idiot. Find a new LFS or order online

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2016, 11:28 AM   #3
noy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
+1
If you want to be sure check the cites site

http://checklist.cites.org/#/en/sear...=1&per_page=20

Tubastreae is a schedule II - so export is OK as long as there is a quota and the exporter has a permit.

You can check this site for the export quotas

https://cites.org/sites/default/file...Quotas2015.pdf

Plenty for quota annually for Tubastraea

noy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 09:36 AM   #4
A.Astore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post

If this was in fact the case I don't think you would be able to order them from anywhere. I would definitely just get them online. I ordered mine from an online site and they opened their polyps enough to eat the first attempt. It took until the second to get the yellow extended. They have been in the system for about a month and are out through the morning and evening, fully extended then a few extended throughout the day. They were shipped looking rough but they bounced back quick. I think the fact he got upset/mad would be enough for me not to want to buy from him. A typical store owner would provide you with options of where you could get them or something similar if it is something they don't carry, not get angry for you asking.

A.Astore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 04:37 PM   #5
Reef Frog
Registered Member

He's wrong. Suns & Dendros are legal as noted above.

I would wish that LFS owner good luck in resolving his personality disorder and politely suggest pursuing an occupation that has minimal amount of contact with the public might be best for him.

Perhaps coal mining or a job at a research station in Antarctics would be a better fit for a personality like that.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2016, 05:48 PM   #6
A.Astore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Frog View Post
Perhaps coal mining or a job at a research station in Antarctics would be a better fit for a personality like that.

Seriously LMAO That may be the best response on this whole site!

A.Astore is offline   Reply With Quote