Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 02/12/2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Tweakes182
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 718
Portland Aquarium is Closing heard they are selling off livestock

I live about 8 hours away but I was interested in driving up to see what all was left. I was curious if anyone closer had bought anything. Or new more about what was going on.

I called and they said what dosent sell will be shipped to other aquariums. But they said they would rather not ship anything.


Tweakes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 03:50 PM   #2
TheJay
Registered Member
 
TheJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Middle of no where OR
Posts: 147
yeah, but considering the history of the Portland Aquarium if you bought anything from them the feds would be all over you with a warrent as you pulled out to see if what you had was legal or not


__________________
Here fishy, fishy, fishy.

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano
TheJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 04:03 PM   #3
ReefInterest
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 108
I picked up a basking shark and some sea turtles from them the other day. The wife wasn't happy, but that comes with the reef keeping territory.


ReefInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Tweakes182
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJay View Post
yeah, but considering the history of the Portland Aquarium if you bought anything from them the feds would be all over you with a warrent as you pulled out to see if what you had was legal or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefInterest View Post
I picked up a basking shark and some sea turtles from them the other day. The wife wasn't happy, but that comes with the reef keeping territory.

I am interested in normal reef fish medium size tangs. No Sharks or Rays or exotic. Yes I am familiar with there past history and issues with treatment of livestock. But anyone that is an advocate for the livestock this would be your chance to give those fish a better home.


Tweakes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 04:38 PM   #5
ReefInterest
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakes182 View Post
I am interested in normal reef fish medium size tangs. No Sharks or Rays or exotic. Yes I am familiar with there past history and issues with treatment of livestock. But anyone that is an advocate for the livestock this would be your chance to give those fish a better home.
I looked up an article about this that said the stock would be rehomed at other aquariums.

However, if I were in the area, I would definitely check it out (maybe call first).


ReefInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Tweakes182
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefInterest View Post
I looked up an article about this that said the stock would be rehomed at other aquariums.

However, if I were in the area, I would definitely check it out (maybe call first).
Yes I called and talked to them directly on the phone. IF they are not sold. They would prefer to sell them. They would then be shipped to another Aquarium either in Texas or Wisconsion I think. The owners I guess either own or have a stake in multiple aquarium.

Bottom line they said they are all for sale to anyone local. Just curious if anyone has been by or bought anything. There is not a RC Portland club. There is a club but no one has answered me on there site.


Tweakes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.