Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Itchy fishy
Registered Member

Nano cube make a good home

Always seen the mantis tanks as quite the interesting setups. Now that Im upgrading to a bigger setup my nano cube future is up in thei air. At first it was "its being sold" to help with the cost of the new setup, but now I see maybe a housing for a mantis.
Wife thinks their super creepy (even more reason to get one), would a 29 gal nano cube be a good home for one? I have a led over it now but pretty sure I still have the old PC hood that come with the tank. Thoughts?

Itchy fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 01:12 AM   #2
nmotz
Registered Member

Nice size tank for a smaller mantis although I've seen people keep Peacocks in these too. What species do you want? Running a sump? LEDs or PC will work. Corals?

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Itchy fishy
Registered Member

No sump on the nano cube. Haven't really looked into the whole manis thing. Always read the boards but never put much thought cause I never had a spare/ extra tank. What would you recommend for a mantis. I think I would like a few corals but not deal breaker.

Unread 02/14/2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Martini5788
Registered Member

Havanensis would probably be a good fit. Or a g smithii if you can find one

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 11:29 PM   #5
nmotz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy fishy View Post
No sump on the nano cube. Haven't really looked into the whole manis thing. Always read the boards but never put much thought cause I never had a spare/ extra tank. What would you recommend for a mantis. I think I would like a few corals but not deal breaker.
An O. Havanensis would be the most entertaining species and the best in terms of overall size for a 29G cube. But they are somewhat sensitive to changing water parameters. You'll probably want to run a skimmer and an ATO to keep the water clean and the salinity stable. Some people have had success with them in simpler set-ups but if you're new to mantis shrimp then you might have trouble with that one.

An easier species would be one of the Neogonodactylids such as the N. Wennerae or N. Oerstedii. There personalities are not quite as entertaining but they are active and very hardy. Both will tolerate a lot more change and are among the more common "hitchhiker pest" mantis shrimps. Most people who have owned a Neogonodactlyid, including me, will say it was a positive experience overall.

Unread 02/21/2016, 08:13 PM   #6
Itchy fishy
Registered Member

Nice, thanks I never seen a mantis in my LFS maybe they can order one.

Unread 02/21/2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Martini5788
Registered Member

You can get them pretty easily from several places online. Kp aquatics, blue zoo usually have them in stock

Unread 02/21/2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Itchy fishy
Registered Member

Always worried about shipping times, what to do after it get here what not to do. Open the bag don't open the bag, float it. Test for specific gravity. I guess I'll look into it.

Unread 02/21/2016, 09:36 PM   #9
nmotz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy fishy View Post
Always worried about shipping times, what to do after it get here what not to do. Open the bag don't open the bag, float it. Test for specific gravity. I guess I'll look into it.
Here is some perspective on some of those questions...

1) You can eliminate the worry about shipping times by instructing the shipper (usually Fedex) to hold it at the nearest shipping center so you can go pick it up whenever you want. I always do this when I have livestock shipped because that way I know I'll get it as soon as it arrives as opposed to the box sitting in a hot truck all day on the driver's route before it gets to me. I know for a fact that KP Aquatics and iBluewater can do this for you.

2) As far as acclimation. It's simple and has worked for me every time. First, call the supplier and ask them what specific gravity they use for their shipping water so you know in advance. When it arrives, float the bag 15 minutes (DO NOT OPEN). Then, open the bag, test salinity. If it is indeed no more than .001 off your tank's salinity, put the mantis straight in. If the salinity is .002 or more off, add a few drops of SeaChem Prime to the shipping water, and do NO MORE than a 15-20 min acclimation (either drip or by slowly adding a few scoops of tank water, your choice).

Unread 02/22/2016, 07:12 PM   #10
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmotz View Post
here is some perspective on some of those questions...

1) you can eliminate the worry about shipping times by instructing the shipper (usually fedex) to hold it at the nearest shipping center so you can go pick it up whenever you want. I always do this when i have livestock shipped because that way i know i'll get it as soon as it arrives as opposed to the box sitting in a hot truck all day on the driver's route before it gets to me. I know for a fact that kp aquatics and ibluewater can do this for you.

2) as far as acclimation. It's simple and has worked for me every time. First, call the supplier and ask them what specific gravity they use for their shipping water so you know in advance. When it arrives, float the bag 15 minutes (do not open). Then, open the bag, test salinity. If it is indeed no more than .001 off your tank's salinity, put the mantis straight in. If the salinity is .002 or more off, add a few drops of seachem prime to the shipping water, and do no more than a 15-20 min acclimation (either drip or by slowly adding a few scoops of tank water, your choice).

+1