Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2016, 07:11 AM   #1
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Top Down Photo Box / Tube

I am looking for a top down photo box or tube to use with my Sony Mirrorless camera and 90mm Macro lens. The main two I have seen are from Avast Marine and from Building an Obsession. Are there any others? And then any comments on these two? I am leaning towards the Building an Obsession model as I don't really like the idea of screwing a tube up against my lens. I also noticed that Building an Obsession has two models. See below...

Building an Obsession Top Down Camera Box

Building an Obsession Adjustable Top Down Camera Tube

Avast Marine Top Down Porthole

Thanks!

Unread 03/15/2016, 03:47 PM   #2
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I have one similar in design to the Avast. It uses 3 plastic screws to clamp to the lens.

I have been using it with Canon 5D Mark II with 18-35, 35mm 50mm Macro and 100mm macro for 2.5 years without any issue.

You don't have to tighten the screw to get the tube to stay in place you just have to snug them to the lens - no pressure needed. I have a 35-200 lens and the macro and having the hood attached to the lens is actually nice because with manual focus you turn the hood and it turns the lens to adjust the focus.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote