Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2016, 04:22 AM   #1
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

frag tank set up

I am setting up a very shallow frag tank. Right now I will be concentrating on Zoas, leathers and some LPS. I noticed at my LRS they use fluorescents in their frag tank. I have an extra Actinic white and blue light that would fit the tank. It's only about 10 inches deep at the most (maybe a little less honestly). Would that be enough light? They even do SPS under their actinic but I noticed they use a pink bulb in with the blue. I asked about this but was told it was just to show off color that it didn't really offer anything. Does anyone have any opinions on this. I am trying to start small. My budget is thin, and I want to have enough to buy some more stock to frag. I currently have a few large zoa clumps with lovely coloring and palies along with colt coral. Also have some leathers and shrooms. I have a green toad stool, it's a bit small, but could be fragged, just not quite sure how to do that yet. A large mushroom looking green leather as well I could frag, and lots of star polyps.

Right now, just wondering about the light. Since the tank is so shallow would the blue and white actinic work and do I need to add pink or is it really just for show.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 09:01 AM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

I am a little confused by your whole question...

You do not need or want a pink bulb (freshwater plant bulb), although something like a ATI coral+ bulb can appear pink when it is sitting next to a blue bulb and that would be a good choice for coral growout.

As far as if the two bulbs is sufficent to grow coral we would need to know what size the tank is and what size/wattage/type of fluorescent bulbs.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 11:54 AM   #3
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
I am a little confused by your whole question...

You do not need or want a pink bulb (freshwater plant bulb), although something like a ATI coral+ bulb can appear pink when it is sitting next to a blue bulb and that would be a good choice for coral growout.

As far as if the two bulbs is sufficent to grow coral we would need to know what size the tank is and what size/wattage/type of fluorescent bulbs.
The tank is 30 gallons. 48 long about 12 deep (10 of it water). The light is 48 long has 4 bulbs 54 watts 2 10K daylight 2 actinic. Freshwater bulbs have never looked pink to me. I've only seen coral lights that were pink looking (but that's just me). If I replaced one of the bulbs I was thinking i should take out one of the 10K daylight since the tank is so shallow and that seems like a lot of light especially if they could get more from a secondary coral light.

Unread 03/22/2016, 12:24 PM   #4
moatdaddy
Registered Member

Here is my opinion. A frag tank must be treated like a DT in the sense of upkeep. Were talking skimmer, nutrient export, water volume.

As far as bulbs go, ATI or geismann is a standard for coral growth. Good reflectors go a long way. As does a PAR meter, maybe someone in your local area has one you can borrow. Zoanthids have been proven to grow well under T5. I think your bulb selection is okay, not what i would pick. I have an 8 ATI bulb unit

B+
B+
B+
C+
B+
B+
P+
B+

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 12:47 PM   #5
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
The tank is 30 gallons. 48 long about 12 deep (10 of it water). The light is 48 long has 4 bulbs 54 watts 2 10K daylight 2 actinic. Freshwater bulbs have never looked pink to me. I've only seen coral lights that were pink looking (but that's just me). If I replaced one of the bulbs I was thinking i should take out one of the 10K daylight since the tank is so shallow and that seems like a lot of light especially if they could get more from a secondary coral light.
There are "pink" looking coral bulbs like KZ Fiji Pink and ATI has a coral+ one, but you don't need either. With the corals you're trying to grow the 10k bulbs will make the colors drab and help grow algae.

The important question is why are you trying to set up a frag tank? Is your display overgrown with corals? imo once threads like this one are about 10 months behind you it will be time to think about considering a frag tank, which would be after your display is overflowing with healthy, fast growing colorful corals. Don't put the cart ahead of the horse or you're just going to have 2 money pits, it takes a lot of experience to run a good frag tank since it's like a display with a much smaller margin of error.

Unread 03/22/2016, 12:55 PM   #6
sde1500
Registered Member

^ Great answer. As much as I would like to set up a frag tank as well for some fun, I'm holding off until I start fragging because my coral is over grown first. Thus proving I can grow them well.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 06:28 PM   #7
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I want a frag tank because I have all the stuff for one and yes my corals are growing like wild fire in my tank, some faster than others. I was thinking I needed to replace the 10 K lights on the T5 because right now it's on my rock curing tank and I'm getting brown algae when I usually don't have any. It has two actinic blues but I was thinking it needed something other than the two 10K and since there are only half a dozen to choose from I was hoping someone might steer me in the right direction. I have Kessils on my main tank, I don't want to go to that expense for a frag tank, and I know the T5 can grow frags because that's what they use at the LFS in their tanks. It just seems to be a big range in opinion on which light combo to have. I have four spaces, I'd like to make sure I get the best combination for growth since they are nothing like the kessils and I have no way to program them other than on and off at certain times.

Unread 03/23/2016, 02:43 AM   #8
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Still no suggestions on which colors? Cause honestly the descriptions of the colors, what they do, which combos work, are very, very vague.
Most I can figure out is replace one of the 10K with a Geisman Lagoon Blue, a ATI Coral plus, ATI blue plus, and maybe even the 10K white with an ATI Aqua Blue special. But again, not sure as the descriptions are all very vague in and I've not got much to compare the light results to as I do with the LEDs.

Unread 03/23/2016, 11:14 AM   #9
moatdaddy
Registered Member

I can at least point you in a good direction. Go to the TOTM threads and read over what bulb choices they have selected, gauge your research into a decision. It is what i did. Those aquariums are proven, and that is a fact. They grow corals and do it well, we are wise to learn from their success.

moatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2016, 11:50 AM   #10
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Still no suggestions on which colors? Cause honestly the descriptions of the colors, what they do, which combos work, are very, very vague.
Most I can figure out is replace one of the 10K with a Geisman Lagoon Blue, a ATI Coral plus, ATI blue plus, and maybe even the 10K white with an ATI Aqua Blue special. But again, not sure as the descriptions are all very vague in and I've not got much to compare the light results to as I do with the LEDs.
ATI:

Blue+
Blue+
Coral+
Blue+

Unread 04/05/2016, 12:50 PM   #11
srizzutto
Registered Member

+1 Organism, thats the exact setup I was going to suggest he go with

srizzutto is offline   Reply With Quote