Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 04/09/2016, 05:36 AM   #1
aaron1129
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 55
I built rocket engineer's stand design

I am setting up a 80 gallon rimless 48x24x16, and I wanted a DIY project for the winter so I started searching and found RocketEngineer's stand design on here. It seemed like a fun project so I took a shot at it. I just figured out how to use photobucket, so I can share some photos.

[IMG][/IMG] of my stand with you all.
[IMG][/IMG]
all my wood cut and my high quality deck screws, plus wood glue.

[IMG][/IMG]
I took some advice i read a bought a coutersink bit, it makes a huge difference. gives a professional look.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Since the tank is only 16'' tall I made the the stand 32'' tall which was perfect because I found 32'' tall wood paneling at lowes to do the finish.
[IMG][/IMG]
before trim
[IMG][/IMG]
After trim.

I am far from a professional carpenter, and the stand definitely has some "homemade" marks on it, but over all it was a fun project and I certainly learned a few things along the way. Thanks for all the post on here I read through while planning and building this stand.
Also,
Thanks rocketengineer



Last edited by aaron1129; 04/09/2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 06:33 AM   #2
BlurrVT
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 47
Stand looks good. I'm looking at building one of these too. Any advice?


BlurrVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 09:04 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member
 
billdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grove City, Ohio
Posts: 10,806
Having built quite a number of stands using this general design over the years, the very best advice I have is this:

1. Take as long as it takes and sort through as many crappy 2x's as you have to so that you are using the best possible lumber.

2. Allow the wood you end up with at least 1 week to dry out and equalize it's moisture content with your house so that you can minimize warping and twisting.

3. Take the time to set up your equipment so that all your cuts are square

4. Seal the interior of the stand with several coats of primer and a good quality latex paint, especially if your sump will be in there.

5. Don't measure twice - measure THREE times!!, then cut. If using a tablesaw or a miter saw, use stop blocks so that all supposedly identical pieces are, well, identical.

6. Eye Protection!!!!!!!!

7. Take your time, do it right, and HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!!!

hth


__________________
I'll try to be nice if you try to be smarter!
I can't help that I grow older, but you can't make me grow up!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 09:37 AM   #4
BlurrVT
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 47
Solid advice. Thanks Bill. I would not have thought about letting the moisture content adjust.


BlurrVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 10:25 AM   #5
aaron1129
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurrVT View Post
Stand looks good. I'm looking at building one of these too. Any advice?
Take your time, and definitely take your pick of the lumber, some of the 2x4 can be pretty warped. I probably looked through like 30 pieces of wood, to the point my wife was rolling her eyes and the loews guy was like really? but I am happy I did. I mean when building something why not take an extra hour or so, I mean you may be using it for years, what is an hour or two when considering a few years?

Also the counter sink bit is well worth the money. It helps keep the screw right on path. I took my time cutting the wood and pre drilling all the holes. After that assembly was a piece of cake.

I actually used gloss white appliance enamel paint to paint the inside of the stand, don't waste your time with the spray can, get a bucket and use a brush. water beads off of it like a window with a fresh coat of rain-x , which I take as a really good sign.


aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 10:35 AM   #6
aaron1129
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 55
My lady doing a yoga pose on top of the stand to check it for stability.



aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2016, 10:51 AM   #7
davocean
Registered Member
 
davocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,655
Nice job man!
I am a professional carpenter, so when I see people take the time to do things right I definitely notice, and one thing I was taught way back was nice layout and even spacing of all fasteners like you did.
Agree sincs are a must for screws.
Never mind those Lowes guys, they give that look to everyone that disrupts their stacks, but it's gotta be done when it's something that HAS to be straight, let the doghouse builders take the crooked stuff!


__________________
There's a fine line between owning your tank and your tank owning you!

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2016, 06:09 AM   #8
aaron1129
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Nice job man!
I am a professional carpenter, so when I see people take the time to do things right I definitely notice, and one thing I was taught way back was nice layout and even spacing of all fasteners like you did.
Agree sincs are a must for screws.
Never mind those Lowes guys, they give that look to everyone that disrupts their stacks, but it's gotta be done when it's something that HAS to be straight, let the doghouse builders take the crooked stuff!
Thanks for the kind words. If you all are interested; now that I have figure out how to add pictures, I will be doing a build thread. So keep an eye out for it.

After doing this project I totally understand why some retired guys build themselves a little a little wood working shop in their shed or garage. It can be sort of relaxing working with the wood. The zen of wood working haha.


aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2016, 06:56 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member
 
billdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Grove City, Ohio
Posts: 10,806
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1129 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. If you all are interested; now that I have figure out how to add pictures, I will be doing a build thread. So keep an eye out for it.

After doing this project I totally understand why some retired guys build themselves a little a little wood working shop in their shed or garage. It can be sort of relaxing working with the wood. The zen of wood working haha.
I find it very relaxing to create something in my shop. After a long day at work, it forces me to clear my mind so that I can concentrate on the job at hand.

You just have to be careful. It started with a music box. Then several jewelry boxes. Then coffee and end tables. An aquarium stand. Kitchen cabinets. Cutting boards for the entire family last Christmas. Grill carts for a couple neighbors Big Green Eggs. Matching desks, file cabinet and bookcase. Now she wants shutters for all 19 windows. Did I mention the Apothecary cabinet? It will measure 7' long, 5' tall, and have ~80 drawers. I'm certain that by the time I'm halfway finished with it there will be a couple more things added to the list....

The upside (besides the feeling of accomplishment when I sign off on a project) is that I can get any new tool I need without question so I have lots of cool toys to play with! Of course, now I need a bigger shop?!


__________________
I'll try to be nice if you try to be smarter!
I can't help that I grow older, but you can't make me grow up!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2016, 10:59 AM   #10
aaron1129
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mt. Pleasant SC
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I find it very relaxing to create something in my shop. After a long day at work, it forces me to clear my mind so that I can concentrate on the job at hand.

You just have to be careful. It started with a music box. Then several jewelry boxes. Then coffee and end tables. An aquarium stand. Kitchen cabinets. Cutting boards for the entire family last Christmas. Grill carts for a couple neighbors Big Green Eggs. Matching desks, file cabinet and bookcase. Now she wants shutters for all 19 windows. Did I mention the Apothecary cabinet? It will measure 7' long, 5' tall, and have ~80 drawers. I'm certain that by the time I'm halfway finished with it there will be a couple more things added to the list....

The upside (besides the feeling of accomplishment when I sign off on a project) is that I can get any new tool I need without question so I have lots of cool toys to play with! Of course, now I need a bigger shop?!
Sounds a little bit like reefing haha


aaron1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2022 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2022
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.