Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/07/2017, 09:41 PM   #376
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Nicely done on all of those matching tanks! What kind of company do you work for that you have access to a CNC? Thatís an awesome convenience.

Are all of those tanks just for breeding anemones and all the same kind or are you going to diversify?
Thanks! I'm an engineer at a R&D firm. The assortment of tools at my disposal is priceless

I already have a couple different BTAs but will likely be rotating them until I get a crazy selection. As far as BTAs are concerned I don't want them mixing. I think it's better that way.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 02:50 AM   #377
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Building the BTA Propagation System (Part 4)

The BTA tanks are up and running (I however, can barely keep my eyes open)! Still a good amount of work to do but each system is up and running, dosed with ammonia, and dosed with bio-spira. The Pond Matrix media has been cycled and running for a couple months already so I fully expect ammonia to be zero by tomorrow. I'll be picking up some clownfish from a local breeder sooner than later.

Return setup and Heater. Temp controller soon to follow.

I use a 5.25" section of Python No-Spill siphon tubing. It fits the parts tightly and is a high quality tubing so it should last for a long time.

The return pump has a dedicated chamber and bubble trap.

I've already freshwater tested these systems for the last two days. I drain, dry, and fill each system with saltwater.

I cut out a section of egg crate that will be used as a stand for the filtration. It rests on two acrylic extrusions I glued in place last month.

I chose this glass at random to be my measuring device for the pond matrix, each tank gets two glasses poured on top of the egg crate.

These systems will also utilize a sponge for mechanical filtration. Cut to size and inserted above the Pond Matrix.

Old 11/08/2017, 02:55 AM   #378
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I think they came out awesome. Next up is electrical management, ATO system, temp controll/fans, and then clownfish.

Old 11/08/2017, 05:09 AM   #379
OurCoralReef
Registered Member

Build Thread: TKERacer619's 600gal SPS Tank

Lids
Very nice

Im just thinking about the maintenance on these things

Last edited by OurCoralReef; 11/08/2017 at 06:03 AM.
OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 07:41 AM   #380
iced98lx

the clown / BTA system looks awesome!!

180 Gallon In Wall
iced98lx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2017, 02:19 PM   #381
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurCoralReef View Post
Lids
Very nice

Im just thinking about the maintenance on these things
Thanks! I'm hoping to keep maintenance at a minimum but it was certainly a criteria I considered when I decided to go 6 independent systems vs one with a shared sump. I have a few solutions that in the end will greatly reduce the amount of work I need to put into these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
the clown / BTA system looks awesome!!
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Old 11/08/2017, 11:47 PM   #382
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Somebody's been busy...
I have to make some time to come visit! Everything looks great, I love the contrast with the black tanks and the white stands. Looks sweet!

Old 11/09/2017, 12:04 PM   #383
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Coming along VERY nicely Mark!

Current Tank Info: None Currently
whyamisofly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 12:59 PM   #384
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Appreciate it!

I need to learn to take better photos under Blue LEDs. I want to show how I aquascaped these tanks.

Old 11/15/2017, 12:00 AM   #385
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Aquascaping the BTA Propagation System

My friends down at The Furnace Glassworks blow glass art and make these pieces of art that mount to walls. I got this idea that I could use them inside BTA propagation tanks and that hopefully they would give the BTAs something to attach too, be comfortable, and be easy to peel off without damaging their feet.

This is the collection of pieces we came up with.

I used the 3M 5200 to attach a handful of the pieces to 4in tavertine tiles, the same ones people use in fragging. I wanted a few of them to sit upright and a few of them to lay on their sides.

Here are the tanks. I basically just threw a handful into each tank. They look pretty cool and with the LEDs on suprising they don't glow all that much.

Same as above with LEDs on.

I'm sure I will move pieces around to make them look better. I have about a dozen left to use in the Sunburst tank as well so I didn't want to stuff these full. Hope the Nems like them... if they don't I'm going to have a really cool wall in the house, this is about $5000 in art inside fish tanks