Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2016, 03:46 AM   #1
kevlow
Registered Member

Higher Nitrates

I have begun using Pro Bio S nearly two weeks ago.

I have always kept my nitrates at about 10 by feeding heavy and adding some liquid nitrate each day.
My nitrates jumped to 25 this week. Everything looks great and no sign of nuisance algae. A couple corals look like they want to be fed even more.

Is this jump related to the Pro Bio S?

I am reading where others on the AF program have very high nitrates but no ill effects.

Thank you,
Kevin

kevlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 05:58 AM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

Hey Kevin,
Which test kit are you using? Also, are you using a carbon source at all? Once the matrix settles in, this should value should drop. I am using Salifert ant testing 2ppm. I have seen others having higher nitrates. I would cross compare if you can to another test kit or the LFS just to double check. Let me know

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 07:45 AM   #3
kevlow
Registered Member

Hey Perry
I had two LFS check and got same results. I am not complaining because everything looks great. But at twenty five, if I back off feeding and dosing, a couple of pieces start to fade after a few days.
The tests say to back off, my eyes and the corals say keep on feeding.
The Matrix has been in for six weeks. I have ordered NP Pro to help the Pro Bio S.

Unread 05/23/2016, 07:59 AM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlow View Post
Hey Perry
I had two LFS check and got same results. I am not complaining because everything looks great. But at twenty five, if I back off feeding and dosing, a couple of pieces start to fade after a few days.
The tests say to back off, my eyes and the corals say keep on feeding.
The Matrix has been in for six weeks. I have ordered NP Pro to help the Pro Bio S.
Kevin, that shoud help big time, this should allow you to continue feeding. Keep me up to date please

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

I am still one battling the nitrates. Honestly the corals looked great until about 4-5 weeks of nitrates registering at 50+

I have slowly stopped dosing each of the bottles to no avail. I did stop dosing my ProBioS 4 days ago and I am now seeing the nitrates drop. I am unclear if it is fouled, or if there is something going on with it.

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 11:09 AM   #6
kevlow
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
I am still one battling the nitrates. Honestly the corals looked great until about 4-5 weeks of nitrates registering at 50+

I have slowly stopped dosing each of the bottles to no avail. I did stop dosing my ProBioS 4 days ago and I am now seeing the nitrates drop. I am unclear if it is fouled, or if there is something going on with it.

That is interesting. Please feel free to post a follow up. If you have a tank thread I will follow along. Do you have any nuisance algae with the high 'trates?