Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Jski90
Registered Member

Culturing Phytoplankton by Sunlight

I have started a phytoplankton culture. Does anyone have any experience doing this by sunlight? What I did was four liters of 1.014 saltwater, 2ml fertilizer, about a pint of phyto, airline and placed in sunlight in my window. Currently it is in direct sunlight because of the time of day. What do you think?

Jski90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 06:53 AM   #2
conjuay
Registered Member

I'm about a week ahead of you, I started my culture last week. Because of the longer daylight hours this time of year, and an east facing window in the garage, I'm showing good growth. Of course winter with it's shorter days might present a problem. But if anything, growth would be slower, perhaps double the time a batch ripen. You can always run daylight, and later in the year supplement with artificial light. There are people who grow phyto on their patios.

conjuay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Jski90
Registered Member

It looks good so far. Its a lot greener then yesterday, so I think its doing fine. I think using sunlight is a better way to go. You can save energy. How is yours doing so far? This is your first batch ever of phyto?

Jski90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 11:28 PM   #4
gogo7
pico reefer

culturing phyto on your window sill is easier than most think.
i use two litre pop bottles without air. a daily swirl and weekly fertilizing.
i've been doing it this way for quite a while, i'm in southern ontario canada. keeping a few cultures going helps when one crashes.
i culture dunaliella tetra and nanno.
one drop ferts to 100mls saltwater. i've converted my nanno to freshwater a few times for daphnia cultures for my fw breeds. all on the window sill.
good to hear other people are doing this.
have you guys tried culturing without air?

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2016, 08:24 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I have it in my tigger pod cultures, and even indirect sunlight will kick off an algae bloom until the water is dark green.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote