Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 08/08/2017, 06:39 PM   #176
madweazl
Registered Member
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 758
28 Jun


8 Aug



madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2017, 02:20 PM   #177
madweazl
Registered Member
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 758
Over the last month, nitrates dropped to 0 and phosphates climbed up to .153. I did a 20g water change and that dropped the nitrates to .098 but they crept back up to .150 over the last week. I decided to start dosing Spectracide Stump Remover in an effort to reduce phosphates. I also discontinued dosing vodka a few days back.

Yesterday I dosed 10ml of the Stump Remover solution which increased nitrates to 5ppm. 23 hours later, nitrates and dropped to 2.5 and phosphates dropped from .150 to .101. Initial results are very promising.


madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2017, 03:05 PM   #178
madweazl
Registered Member
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 758
Also increased the T5 photo-period to eight hours.


madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/13/2017, 11:40 AM   #179
madweazl
Registered Member
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 758
One of the bajillions (approximately...) of baby snails that have somehow survived this long.



madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2017, 03:24 PM   #180
madweazl
Registered Member
 
madweazl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NOVA
Posts: 758
This guy started to STN/RTN (somewhere in between...) about a week and a half ago; it was also located in roughly the same area as an acro that RTN'd while I was out of town a couple months ago. I checked parameters to see if I could find anything and everything was right where it normally is with the exception of salinity which had dropped to roughly 33ppt (pretty much right on 1.025 for my refractometer). The Copps undata was showing signs of stress again which is what caught my eye first (I never seem to be able to keep that one happy for long so it's a constant struggle). I brought the salinity back up to 35ppt via salt water in the ATO over a few days and did my typical 10g water change last weekend. The acro has stabilized the past two days and has started to color back up a bit too (was browning out but has a lot of green back today).

Things that were different the last few weeks:

Light intensity (raised and lowered to accommodate various issues)
Salinity dropped slightly (35ppt to 33ppt) but quickly during a water change, skimmer, and reactor maintenance (not enough salt water was replaced to account for the lost displacement)
A couple water changes were conducted using Live Aquaria's salt but I'm out of that so back to Reef Crystals (the only other salt that has been used in this tank) for another week or two until that is all used up and then shifting to regular Instant Ocean.

I'm also wondering if there may be a trace element issue as I cant find anything in the standard test results (alk, Ca, Mg, PO4, NO3) that would indicate an issue. I submitted some results to Triton on the 5th but my results were:

SG - 1.025
dKH - 7.9
Ca - 450
Mg - 1365
PO4 - .058
NO3 - 2.5-5.0

We'll see how the Triton results look sometime next week when the results come in but the only thing I expect to be different is PO4 which will likely come back at 0 or very close based on previous Triton results as compared to what my Hanna ULR shows. I have a calculator that will provide some results in regard to salinity but I've never seen that off by more than .25ppt between my refractometer and Triton.

In regard to trace element depletion, I've decided to do weekly 10g water changes (roughly 10%); to that end, I changed 20g two weeks ago and 15g last week I believe. Tomorrow will be a typical 10g change which is what I normally do (though every two weeks vice weekly).

I have no clue what has caused the issue but things have at least stabilized at this point so I guess that is a win (for now). I'd hate to lose another coral and this little acro was pretty awesome.




madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014