Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Kuzuri_86
Registered Member

ORP what's your range?

I have finally finished piecing my full apex setup together and the last probe I added was ORP. I have read in several places that the goal range as this is not a static measurement is from 300 - 400? Right now mine is still climbing and adjusting it seems to the tank as I sit at 280 roughly. This leads me to wonder where anyone else who uses this aims for?

Kuzuri_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 08:26 PM   #2
reelfreak
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]It took mine awhile to settle in when installed. It was maxing out around 350 before switching from vodka dosing to DIY nopox and a skimmer upgrade.
My ORP has been pretty solid lately and tanks appearance reflects the higher numbers,although chasing ORP numbers is not advised.

Current Tank Info: 125g / 6x80 T5s 90w LED Hybrid DIY, Apex, WAVs,Skimz SM161,Tunze Osmolator
reelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Ebone
Registered Member

450-525 ish Untitled.jpg

Ebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 09:07 PM   #4
BaltimoreFish
Registered Member

The first week I installed the probe it was low for my current average-around 200. After a few months it averages around 450 to 500. I think that probe takes some time to "season".

The change in the value is most important in my opinion. Changes in the value tells me when things are "good" (higher value) or "bad" (lower value). The value goes down when I make changes to the tank or stir up the detritus in the sump. After a water change the value goes up slowly. The science behind ORP is complex but I've learned alot just by being patient and watching how changes in my tank change the ORP.

My advice. Be patient with that probe. It takes time to find it's sweet spot and you learn what it's telling you over time. When the probe is new I would not necessarily react to the values-just watch it. After you learn what it's telling you you can make adjustments based on its values. I hope that makes sense.

BaltimoreFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Kuzuri_86
Registered Member

I do AWC with DOS and I have noticed in the 12 hours following the changes it seems to go up about 10-15. Yeah I'm definitely not intending on chasing it up, as everything I could get my hands on essentially says what you guys are saying, that it is an excellent snapshot health stat. Now without any kind of dosing just running a large skimmer and doing the AWC of roughly 12% a week I think 300 to 400 once the probe is seasoned seems reasonable?

Kuzuri_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2016, 08:40 PM   #6
reelfreak
Registered Member

I think those numbers would be decent expectations, as we all agree the consistency matters more than the actual numbers.

Good luck, running the apex has really uped my game with tank consistency!

Current Tank Info: 125g / 6x80 T5s 90w LED Hybrid DIY, Apex, WAVs,Skimz SM161,Tunze Osmolator
reelfreak is offline   Reply With Quote