Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2016, 10:07 PM   #1
PfenWendt
Registered Member

Selling a clam, Advice?

So a couple questions, I am sadly selling my beloved 7" derasa clam, shutting down 1 of the reef tanks so have a lot of livestock to combine into the one tank and someone has shown interest in buying it. First off I would like to ask what a fair price is for a 7" derasa clam is currently, http://www.aquariumdomain.com/images...erasaClam4.jpg, Patterns like that one there. Second, Best way to remove it from the tank with minimal stress? It's on the sand bed so i'm planning to drain some tank water into a 5 gallon bucket and just lift strait out and strait down, minimal air contact would be best i think, Would love some advice from more minds though!

Thanks!
Wade

Current Tank Info: 55g reef tank, 65g red sea max c-250 reef, Innovative marine fusion 10 nano reef, And just getting into breeding clowns! :)
PfenWendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 09:25 AM   #2
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

bucket move would be fine. just make sure it's got plenty of water covering it.

i wouldn't worry too much about the air exposure. T. derasa can close fully, unlike some of the other species, so it will likely "clam up" when you start moving it.

if it is open after the move, you can try burping it, but my derasa usually does a good job keeping air out when closed completely.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 01:35 PM   #3
PfenWendt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
bucket move would be fine. just make sure it's got plenty of water covering it.

i wouldn't worry too much about the air exposure. T. derasa can close fully, unlike some of the other species, so it will likely "clam up" when you start moving it.

if it is open after the move, you can try burping it, but my derasa usually does a good job keeping air out when closed completely.
Cool, Thanks for the feedback

Any suggestion for a price also?

Current Tank Info: 55g reef tank, 65g red sea max c-250 reef, Innovative marine fusion 10 nano reef, And just getting into breeding clowns! :)
PfenWendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 02:38 PM   #4
ezcompany
Registered Member

deresa's are fast growers but still very nice, probably in the range of 100-150 for a 7" specimen would be my guess. If I knew it was going into very good hands then I'd let it go for less, but that's just me.

Current Tank Info: IM40
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2016, 05:51 AM   #5
blueclam99
Registered Member

I am very interested in if it is still available for sale. I assume local pickup only.

blueclam99 is offline   Reply With Quote