Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/01/2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Reefsguy
Registered Member

Vectra M1 Plumbing HELP!!

Ok, so I have read a lot of threads about how to plumb the Vectra M1 but I'm still a little confused on what the best way to do it is and need some help.

I have 3/4 nylon braided tubing that I'm trying to connect it to.

the BRS folks told me just to buy a 3/4 Spigot...

But I was reading this..."The supplied blue compression union narrows the outflow on the M1 to 3/4". All flow numbers published about the Vectra pumps are WITHOUT these unions. Your flow will be choked down before you get to your return lines and you will be nowhere near 3000 gph. Without the unions the outflow is 1.25". Unfortunately, the threads are British Standard Threads and are considered incompatible with our NPT. You can force NPT 1.25" adapters on but will damage the thread patterns."

and then I found these..."Vectra M1 Sch. 40 Adapter Kit - Ecotech Marine"

and then I found that Eco Tech sells "M1 Barb & Screen Kit" on their website

and then i found people having to use glue to make it work but I don't know if it was just outdated information on an old thread

So I'm really confused now... I really need for someone to explain the best way to connect my new Vectra M1 pump to my 3/4 braided vinyl tubing

Links to parts would me much appreciated too.

Reefsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 04:15 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

personally I'd do a short piece of 3/4" PVC pipe and then get a slip to threaded adapter and a threaded to 3/4" barb tubing fitting..
or 1" PVC pipe with adapters to the 3/4" barb for the tubing..

Unread 08/01/2016, 04:33 PM   #3
pa1ntbru5h
Registered Member

I just set mine up recently. Easiest way is to buy the M1 Barb and Screen kit, and connect the braided tube to the barb. The Barb fits into the top blue union really really tight (almost like its not meant to) so I didn't even use any glue. I actually had to use a rubber mallet to get the barb in flush with the union. If you feel the need to, put some glue on the barb fitting before joining it with the blue union.

pa1ntbru5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 09:10 PM   #4
LXXero
Moved On

if you want the widest possible output, then I believe you want to use the BSP to sch40 adapter stuff instead of the blue collars.

I think the M1/L1 are threaded in british standard threads (BSP?) as opposed to american, so you need that adapter if you want the widest possible output without the collar. However, you'd probably want to attach a union right after the BPT adapter, IMHO anyway. Buy a few extras of the same union so you can re-use the adapter with other stuff later.

if you use the BSP adapter, then you can use 1.25" PVC on the M1's output without the reduction of the blue collar....

However! If you are just reducing to 3/4" tubing anyway, then there's really no need to use the BSP adapters....just shove the barb into the blue collar and be done with it like the other posts here said.

LXXero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, vectra m1