Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

Recommended corals for lower temp reef?

I have a 60 gallon cube seahorse tank. I had the goal of a softie, NPS tank, but I have found several corals that never adapted to the cold water and faded away until I pulled them and put them in my mixed reef.

Tank has been up since March.
Mars Aqua led light
Temp: 70-72
SG: 1.027
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: very high at 50 (it is dropping, added biopelets and sulfer denitrator recently)
Ca: 460
Mg: 1300
KH: 8

Currently stocked
2 finger leathers, GSP, 9 photosynthetic gorgs, 4 NPS gorgs, 3 toadstools, pulsing Xenia, tree sponge, pom pom macro. I am about to add some more macros in the next couple months.

I have added clove polyps, mushrooms (multiple species) and, zoas, but I always have to pull them before they wither away too much.

I have 6 seahorses, one Multibanded pipefish, one mandarin (I have cultured pods for several years now,) few trocus snails, one blue coral banded shrimp, margarita snails, 2 feather dusters, and a gold and black brittle star.

I also run red sea carbon, Purigen, GFO, filter socks, skimmer and WC 30-40% weekly due nitrates.

I feed CA and Hikari mysis twice daily, reef nutrition ROE, and oyster feast once daily. And live cultures of nano and isocrysis phyto fed every other day.

I am looking for non aggressive, hearty soft corals. I have a cabbage leather coming out of QT soon, it will be my first so idk how it will do, fingers crossed. The tough part is I only have one chiller so I can't slowly accimate them to the lower temp and even with fans my qt is in the workshop at sit at 79°F.

I am not adding to my tank until my nitrates are better but my QT takes plenty of time and I still have to order them from my LFS. I am very picky do I am looking at about 4-6 months before they ever come in.

Any suggestions?

Dogshowgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Dogshowgrl
Registered Member

Nothing? I get it, it's a tough one. I work at a LFS, and I am still stumped. The HA is getting much better, but I don't trust it. Lol. Qt is setup and empty.... Think I will try zoas (again) and a nepthia.

Any suggestions on what color I should add?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dogshowgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 09:43 PM   #3
JL.Chev
Registered Member

How do you like those lights? I have the same and run them at 50 blue and I'd say 35 whites. The fans are loud once you go brighter. Tank looks great. Maybe try a blue toadstool.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

JL.Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 06:43 PM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

I don't think the temperature is the problem with the mushrooms, clove polyps or zoas because my seahorse tank is also 70-72° and has those coral. Maybe its the varieties you have tried? My mushrooms are a plain large greenish brown very textured mushroom. My clove polyps are blue clove. Actually my palys do better than my zoas.
By the way, your tank is gourgeous.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote