Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Myka
Reefing since '93

What's up with the salt parameters creeping higher?

Hi Aquaforest,

One of the reasons I switched to AF Probiotic salt is because the parameters are very close to NSW which is what I keep my SPS reef at. I'm disappointed to find that every bucket I buy has higher and higher parameters listed on your Quality Certificates, particularly alkalinity.

The latest bucket certificate at only 33 ppt says this:

Ca 420 mg/l
KH: 8.0 dKH
Mg 1410 mg/l
K 390 mg/l

What happened to NSW values, especially considering 35 ppt salinity is considered NSW average?

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Hi Aquaforest,

One of the reasons I switched to AF Probiotic salt is because the parameters are very close to NSW which is what I keep my SPS reef at. I'm disappointed to find that every bucket I buy has higher and higher parameters listed on your Quality Certificates, particularly alkalinity.

Ca 420 mg/l
Mg 1410 mg/l
K 390 mg/l

What happened to NSW values, especially considering 35 ppt salinity is considered NSW average?
I noticed the same thing. It's still (mostly) within the parameters listed on their site which is why I haven't really worried about it, but I would prefer lower as well.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 10:16 AM   #3
plyle02
Registered Member

Reef Mineral Salt. It will raise your salinity over time, this is why recommended with weekly water changes, so for those who like to extend water changes, nothing wrong with it, simply need to pull a bit of saltwater out each week or day, depending on tank volume. I had to re-check my 2 refractos, as I saw the increase as well. I do believe this to be normal with balling salts, from others who have commented about same concern.
Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Reef Mineral Salt. It will raise your salinity over time, this is why recommended with weekly water changes, so for those who like to extend water changes, nothing wrong with it, simply need to pull a bit of saltwater out each week or day, depending on tank volume. I had to re-check my 2 refractos, as I saw the increase as well. I do believe this to be normal with balling salts, from others who have commented about same concern.
Cheers

Perry I think you should re-read the OP

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2016, 12:26 PM   #5
plyle02
Registered Member

Oh Crap Mindy, sorry about that, I was thinking salinity creep, my bad. I have not really tested my salt, but I have not seen any alk or ca, or mg increase that has me concerned about fluctuating parameter Thanks for the look out Potatohead, flying to San Diego today, so I am a total mess trying to get last minute things in order, lol...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 07:19 AM   #6
Myka
Reefing since '93

Aquaforest sucks at answering their forum.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 12:34 PM   #7
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Hi Aquaforest,

Ca 420 mg/l
Mg 1410 mg/l
K 390 mg/l

you could also mix at a lower salinity if preferred
NSW values are not globally the same

Some area in the Philippines have Ca as low as 360 corals are still healthy
the Red Sea in summer is 38 point and Arabian Sea 40 Point
the GBR Salinity varies North 35 point to 33 point south

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote