Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2016, 10:52 AM   #1
mathman7728
Registered Member

UV use and color of corals

i had my Kole eye eventually die after a bout of some unknown issue (stopped eating, swimming in circles, etc) while this was going on, i started up the UV 24/7 in case it was something UV would help with. The end result was the color on my SPS really started to pop! maybe it was something else but the timing of UV and color enhancement is hard to ignore.

Any idea what may be the connect between color and UV?

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 01:14 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

UV sterilizers oxidize organics in the water. This leads to better clarity. Increased water clarity can improve light penetration and PAR levels. The improvement in your corals is likely the result of improved water clarity and the increased light and spectral penetration as a result.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2016, 09:52 AM   #3
mtraylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
UV sterilizers oxidize organics in the water. This leads to better clarity. Increased water clarity can improve light penetration and PAR levels. The improvement in your corals is likely the result of improved water clarity and the increased light and spectral penetration as a result.
+1

Also did you just get the fish or add a new fish?

Current Tank Info: 255 A.G.E Rimless mixed reef
mtraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 06:18 PM   #4
mathman7728
Registered Member

added about 1 or 1.5 wks prior

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 07:52 PM   #5
ssick92
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Obviously you are correct in that it creates clearer water by removing water born organics, but I am not sure that it would clear up the water enough to make a big enough difference in lighting...

I ran a UV for a while that helped me get rid of dino's, and yes it cleared up the water, but I didn't notice that my lighting was penetrating the water any better... Could be wrong though.

IM Nuvo 10g Mixed Reef Nano | Kessil A160we | Mp10QD | Osmolator Nano
ssick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2016, 12:20 AM   #6
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
Obviously you are correct in that it creates clearer water by removing water born organics, but I am not sure that it would clear up the water enough to make a big enough difference in lighting...

I ran a UV for a while that helped me get rid of dino's, and yes it cleared up the water, but I didn't notice that my lighting was penetrating the water any better... Could be wrong though.
If you noticed an improved clarity, in your water, then I would argue that equates to better light penetration. I don't know that you could discern the brightness increase at the coral level, but the fact that you observed the clearer water I'm assuming meant you could see stuff in the tank better which is of course light bouncing off, traveling through the water to your eye.

Something else to think about, a lot of times, organics turn the water a yellow/green color. Not all that noticeable most of the time, but could inhibit some wavelengths getting to the coral that could impact health.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote