Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2016, 03:21 PM   #1
anthonys51
Registered Member.

light for 57 marco algae tank

just wondering what light you guys suggest for a marco tank.
looking to grow marco algae in the tank, not just cheato

want to go led if possiable

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2016, 02:59 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

My suggestion would be either a plant grow led which will be more warm white and red rather than cool white and blue, or any aquarium led that has more than 2 channel control so you can 'dail in' more white, red and green spectrum.

I just started a 50g cube as a 'display refugium' and I'm running a new Reef Breeders Photon V2. It does warm white white red and green quite well, but it also matched up well with the Photon V2 over my mixed reef.

Unread 11/20/2016, 11:24 PM   #3
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Nice someone recommended kessil a160 whites. Do you like your light and the growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/22/2016, 03:50 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I had a VERY similar fixture over my old reef tank and it grew sps & lps like crazy. Both these fixtures are over new tanks and the macro algae has only been in the display refugium for 6 weeks, but in the past couple of weeks it seems the macro is starting to grow pretty well. I've been a bit surprised at how well the leather corals are doing in the refugium, but the green branching leather has lost some color to a pale green. They may need to move back under a blue and cooler white spectrum.

Unread 11/22/2016, 08:22 AM   #5
anthonys51
Registered Member.

My Marco tank won't have any corals in it

Unread 11/23/2016, 04:09 AM   #6
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I didn't intend to put corals in mine either. But the leathers are bigger and I have a smaller reef tank now (125g vs. 180g) so I put them in to see how they'd do. Once the macro algae starts to really grow I'll probably pull them out and put them in my shallow reef.

Unread 11/23/2016, 07:35 PM   #7
anthonys51
Registered Member.

yes you never know, i was told by the guy who set up my tank he would sell me the kessil sun for 200. think its a good deal. just my 57 is 3 feet long, thought the spread on the kessil is 24, but i could be wrong. basically was going to set up the 57 with a deep sand bed. no fish just marco algae to feed my main tank with pods and use up nutrients

Unread 11/23/2016, 11:44 PM   #8
Kawasaki213
Registered Member

I use the Home Depot LED for Chaeto in the sump. They love that

Kawasaki213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2016, 09:28 AM   #9
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Yes but my 57 is 24 inches deep. Plus I want to grow more than cheato So do anyone know it that's a good light for the other Marcos plus a deeper tank