Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2016, 11:19 AM   #1
beolson25
Registered Member

Black & orange clown fish breeding?

All ... I had no intention of purposely breeding these clowns but today I noticed a cluster of eggs. I have several questions.

1) can a black & white clown breed with an orange and white one successfully? Or are these eggs likely sterile?
2) is it at all possible any would survive in a tank with many anemones, six line wrasse, several shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, yellow eyes like tang and a couple others ... ? I'm not overly stressed if not but I don't want to invest in feeding the babies if there is basically zero chance of survival.
3) what do i need to know about feeding the if they do hatch? Phyto, zoo plankton, oyster eggs, other?
4) anything else I should consider? A separate tank is not really an option. Although I do have a refugium. Flow is pretty high though.

I'll attach pictures of the eggs and mom & dad.

beolson25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 01:12 PM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

They can breed successfully. Since breeding clowns involves many factors that are hard to sum up in just one post I suggest you google search Pickels Guide to breeding clownfish or buy Joyce Wilkersons (e)book called Clownfishes.
Your baby clowns will not survive in the main tank because they will be either eaten by other fishes or get filtered out.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 02:30 PM   #3
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

foods you will deff need are phyto and rotifers, but if you cant setup a separate tank then I wont go any further. otherwise as stated, there is lots of info in this forum and the book by joyce Wilkerson is great.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2016, 02:59 PM   #4
beolson25
Registered Member

Hmmm ... Now I'm considering a little 5 or 10 gallon tank ... But I think it will wait til early next year ...

Until then ... I guess I'll read up a bit ... Need to figure out how hard it is to get a decent food supply. And expensive....

Will they basically continue to breed endlessly every 10-20 days now? is it seasonal?

Last edited by beolson25; 12/04/2016 at 03:07 PM.
Unread 12/04/2016, 04:13 PM   #5
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

they will continue to lay from now on and the batches will keep getting bigger and better as time goes on unless something happens to the tank. don't forget you will need a growout tank also, a 5-10 gal tank will be good for raising the fry though.

as for foods I go through reedsmariculture for my phyto and rotifers, I use rgcomplete but once you have rotifers going you shouldn't need to buy them again, just keep up on feeding them and changing out their water along with straining about 50% every couple days.

Clownfish breeder
Unread 12/04/2016, 05:10 PM   #6
beolson25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty51008 View Post
they will continue to lay from now on and the batches will keep getting bigger and better as time goes on unless something happens to the tank. don't forget you will need a growout tank also, a 5-10 gal tank will be good for raising the fry though.

as for foods I go through reedsmariculture for my phyto and rotifers, I use rgcomplete but once you have rotifers going you shouldn't need to buy them again, just keep up on feeding them and changing out their water along with straining about 50% every couple days.
I'm trying to decide if I'm that committed.

Unread 12/04/2016, 05:32 PM   #7
beolson25
Registered Member

So ... If I'm lazy ... I have read using strictly San Francisco baby brine shrimp sometimes gets 10-25% survival rate ... I'd be happy with that since I've thought about having a mostly clown tank ... I'm not in it for selling them just to get some to live ...

Thinking about getting a 10 gallon that feeds from my sump with a really low flow... Again ... Not sure I'll do it but I'm looking for the lazy man's way.

Unread 12/04/2016, 07:10 PM   #8
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

brine shrimp even newly hatched brine shrimp are way to big for clownfish fry and will starve to death before they get big enough to eat them. you really do need rotifers as their first food.

Clownfish breeder

Tags
clownfish breeding