Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Easttuth
Registered Member

What did you use to line the bottom of your steel stand?

Looking for ideas to line the bottom of my steel stand. I've seen a few trays in builds but not much detail in the thread is spent on this part of the build.

stand is 11ft long, has the 2 end braces on the floor as well as 4 more throughout the stand if that plays any kind of roll.

Unread 01/02/2017, 07:13 PM   #2
dave.m
Registered Member

You haven't said what material you intend to use to make the tray out of. If metal make sure you powdercoat it well to stand up to the salt over time. If wood you can use pond liner over two coats of paint or better yet, fibreglass.

I have always found it advantageous to paint the inside of the stand white so that you can easily see stuff when you are working under the tank. Once it gets crowded under there (and it WILL get crowded eventually) the white will definitely help.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2017, 07:35 PM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

A friend of mine had a custom PVC tray made to go under his tank on the base of his steel stand. It came out really nice and is very functional!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2017, 11:28 PM   #4
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

I went to the plumbing department at local home store and picked up rubber liner you use for bathroom/tile/tub/shower. I left a 2 inch lip around the sides and just folded it up to catch anything major. Granted it would never handle a full 75g, like my sump is set to handle on power loss.

You can it here in this video, from 2 years ago:

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 10:00 AM   #5
chris o
Registered Member

I got some sheet PVC and glued/welded it to create my pan. It was actually fairly cheap and simple. I didn't do the leg detail like above just a rectangle pan with 5-8 inch sides.

Chris

chris o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Easttuth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris o View Post
I got some sheet PVC and glued/welded it to create my pan. It was actually fairly cheap and simple. I didn't do the leg detail like above just a rectangle pan with 5-8 inch sides.

Chris
What thickness did you use? I called about starboard today and they thought 1/4 wouldn't work and I'd need 1/2. Also, would you mind sharing the size and final cost? This is what I'm leaning towards at this point

Unread 01/03/2017, 06:35 PM   #7
chris o
Registered Member

I bought 2 4X8 sheet of 1/2 inch and then cut it down to fit my setup which is 72X45. I needed the additional material for a sump adjustment. The sheets were like 200 a piece from a local company that deals in PVC sheets. I already had the weld on glue but that is the cheap part.

Chris

Unread 01/07/2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Easttuth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris o View Post
I bought 2 4X8 sheet of 1/2 inch and then cut it down to fit my setup which is 72X45. I needed the additional material for a sump adjustment. The sheets were like 200 a piece from a local company that deals in PVC sheets. I already had the weld on glue but that is the cheap part.

Chris
How is the material holding up? Does it scratch easy, show a lot of wear, etc?

Unread 01/08/2017, 04:23 AM   #9
chris o
Registered Member

It's does great. I had the same setup on my 220 for years and now on my new 430 build. It will scratch but not anything to worry about. I am fortunate because when we built our house I had a drain put in the floor there so I actually have the pan sealed to the drain so if(when) I have a water issue it just drains down. A friend built a pan like this and put a pump with a float unit to handle/avoid any major disasters.

Chris