Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08/27/2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Reefable
Registered Member

Chasing Corals

Wow just wow..This documentary on Netflix is alarming eye opener. To realize that we are in a state of loosing the entire coral population of the world in the next 30 years is more than depression. I really hope they recover and adapt to the global warming. Today after watching the documentary I feel proud of myself and all the reefers who are trying to keep these extinct species alive and healthy in their individual tanks. I couldn't stop myself sharing this today. Yep this documentary has changed the way I look and think of corals. It has brought me more closer to my tank than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2017, 07:08 PM   #2
el chupacabra
Registered Member

I too didnt realize what a sad state coral reefs were in till watching this. I first heard of this film at macna this year during Walt Smith's talk. Walt Smith gave a talk about coral farming in the south pacific, he's farming coral (ADE project) to rebuild the reefs and supply our hobby. He showed a video of the efforts to rebuild the reefs but for the life of me I cant find it. Supposedly it's on itunes but I cant even find the name of the video on google.

If you like documentaries exposing shocking stuff most people never knew about, check out Virunga. To me it's one of the best docs made. It exposes how first world corporations & countries intentionally start civil wars overseas to acquire resources. It takes place in the Congo where people give their lives to protect the gorrilla. Or check out the horror documentary Crude right before you go to bed. There's images from that Ill never be able to forget. I think these are both on netflix.

el chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Aresangel
Registered Member

It is a bit over dramatized with entire population. It is large quantities in local areas. Some species may go extinct yes, but a bleaching event does not mean the corals do not grow back with time. Every year there is a reported bleaching event especially in the barrier reef with climate change and the southern ocean oscillation currents. The documentary is well done and went through great lengths to document the bleaching event. Recovery should be a follow up documentary to show the state months and years after these major events to give hope (if there is any to give).

That being said I will be showing that documentary to my high school oceanography class Monday to peak their interests in conservation efforts and the importance of coral reefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aresangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2017, 03:18 PM   #4
el chupacabra
Registered Member

I always thought this kind of stuff was under dramatized. For one, we are kind of focused on the loss of corals. But what about all the other forms of life we dont really see or care about much? Such as sponges, arthropods, molluscs - any number of the thousands of species that are dying or going extinct underneath the dying reefs. Meanwhile we are replanting a few sps species and acting like this will rebuild the reef to its former glory. When it comes to the environment things really are pretty dire. Many people dont know that in the past 15 years roughly half of the amphibian species in the western hemisphere have gone extinct (who noticed?).

In the film it's not just documenting 'bleaching', but the process of, bleaching, and then [permanent] death, hence pointing out how algae only grows on coral thats completely dead. I though their primary point was that corals aren't coming back from this. They aren't evolving fast enough.

el chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Reefable
Registered Member

Great input guys. I agree with El's last post though the fact that algae has grown over those thick sps colonies is an indication of something serious if not permanent death. The fact that alarms is in 3 months the entire coral reef was dead brought to bare bones....and this is just a beginning i am afraid off. There are so many other ecosystems which could endanger so many species unheard off...lets hope for the best...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reefable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Frank H
Registered Member

Coral reefs grow in the warmest waters found in the ocean. The majority of water is much cooler than these tropical environments. If the water is warming too much, wouldnt this make other areas potentially reef ready?

What about this 600 mile reef they found last year? https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-mouth/479259/

While Chasing Coral was interesting I feel it was more geared to scare the viewer into making changes to fight global warming.

Frank H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2017, 10:11 AM   #7
GQsmooth
Registered Member

^^That's the point. The world should be making a shift already.

All in all, it was an interesting watch, but the guy getting overly emotional over the bleaching was a bit much.

GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2017, 01:12 PM   #8
karimwassef
Registered Member

Temperature is not as impactful as CO2 acidification.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2017, 08:05 PM   #9
Walt Smith
Premium Member

the video from Macna

Hi El, and others,
you can find the video you are talking about on www.adeproject.org on the "what is ADE" page. better get some popcorn or a glass of wine ... it is 24 minutes long. hope you enjoy!
Walt

Current Tank Info: yikes-over 100,000 gallons
Walt Smith is offline   Reply With Quote