Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Salty150
Registered Member

DOS for daily water changes

I thought there was a thread on here regarding the DOS and doing daily water changes...

But I can't find it!

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 06:26 PM   #2
ssscuz
Registered Member

I would like to add the DOS to my system for Water changes.
The noise is the main issue putting me off.

has anyone got a fix for the noise these produce? or a way to enclose the unit etc?

thanks in advance

ssscuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscuz View Post
I would like to add the DOS to my system for Water changes.
The noise is the main issue putting me off.

has anyone got a fix for the noise these produce? or a way to enclose the unit etc?

thanks in advance
Well, I was thinking of having it do it while I was at work, or at night while I am asleep, etc...

Unread 02/21/2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Salty150
Registered Member

Found it...

From the DOS getting started guide:

The highly accurate stepper motors and calibration in your DŌS will allow you to do continuous water changes with a great degree of reliability and accuracy. The largest amount of volume possible to move in a 24 hour period is 119916 mL or 31.7 gallons or 1.3 gallons/hour. Automatic water changes (AWC) can be done slowly and daily over a 24 hour period instead of doing the large scale water changes every week or two. You’ll still likely have to do these every now and then for more intensive cleaning, but DŌS will certainly allow you to do this less frequently.

Last edited by Salty150; 02/21/2017 at 08:21 PM.
Unread 02/21/2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Antipodes
Registered Member

1 US gal is 3.8 litres
7 US gals is 26.6 litres or 26600 ml's
My dosing pump does 45 ml's a minute= 591 minutes or 9 hrs 51 min.

Keep in mind that most of the DOS pumps have a duty cycle of around 50% (Not sure exactly). So around 20 hrs a day. Pretty much going to wear your pump out in a big hurry with that sort of usage!

Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 03:30 PM   #6
thabizness
Registered Member

I set up two PMUPs for auto water change. IMHO its faster/cheaper than DOS and I can use my DOS for doing more precise dosing functions.

Before the PMUPs I did use DOS for AWC. I did it both ways. Continuous water changes scheduled all day and I also did it where I removed water from 12-2AM and put water in from 2-4AM. ATO was turned off in this case during the water change period.

thabizness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 06:12 PM   #7
bhofosho
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabizness View Post
I set up two PMUPs for auto water change. IMHO its faster/cheaper than DOS and I can use my DOS for doing more precise dosing functions.

Before the PMUPs I did use DOS for AWC. I did it both ways. Continuous water changes scheduled all day and I also did it where I removed water from 12-2AM and put water in from 2-4AM. ATO was turned off in this case during the water change period.

Does the PMUP run loud? My DOSs at high speeds were almost as noisy as my AFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 06:26 PM   #8
thabizness
Registered Member

I have one in my sump and it's no louder than my skimmer. The DOS is so loud that if someone spent the night on the couch downstairs I had to turn off AWC because it runs in the middle of the night and would wake them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Unread 02/28/2017, 07:16 PM   #9
bhofosho
Registered Member

Quote:
I have one in my sump and it's no louder than my skimmer. The DOS is so loud that if someone spent the night on the couch downstairs I had to turn off AWC because it runs in the middle of the night and would wake them up.

Same experience! I used to awc with mine too every other hour into the night and ended up only running it during the day when it was too loud. I dosed a lot at night so I figured I'd let that stuff stew at night when the acro polyps were out and I could sleep soundly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bhofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:23 PM   #10
thabizness
Registered Member

For a little added protection I also use a always closed solenoid that turns on when the pumps turn on so I have no chance of a siphon. Eventually I'll pump rodi into the tank this way from my rodi container in another room. I plan on getting at least one more PMUPs to move water around.

Unread 03/01/2017, 09:56 AM   #11
m3lacoste
Registered Member

This sounds like a good plan and cheaper. If you don't mind, please post your programming and setup. Thanks

m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 09:58 AM   #12
m3lacoste
Registered Member

Quote:

This sounds like a good plan and cheaper. If you don't mind, please post your programming and setup. Thanks

Last edited by m3lacoste; 03/01/2017 at 10:06 AM.
m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 10:04 AM   #13
thabizness
Registered Member

Right now it's all manual by just turning switches on. I plan on automating this weekend.

Unread 03/10/2017, 10:26 AM   #14
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

Quote:
Right now it's all manual by just turning switches on. I plan on automating this weekend.

Keep me posted on how it goes?

I am trying to work on an AWC but my storage tanks are all 40 feet away and I have a 20 G frag tank that I would like to insert into the schedule sending 1 gallon a day out of Frag then 1 gallon from 90G DT to frag and finally and New water from storage to the DT. Trying to work it all out using the 2 pumps and some solenoids. Now you have me think PMUP may be an option. Highest point is 5 feet draw from Frag tank out. Any help is appreciated

azsoccerpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2017, 11:23 AM   #15
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not as some of this thread is over my head, but I do an AWC (not constant) using 2 buckets and 2 pumps, controlled by my Apex Jr.

Initiating the AWC is manual, but everything else is programmed. This setup has worked REALLY well for me based on my needs and the limitations of my setup.

Virtual Outlets

[VO-AWC]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
Min Time 15:00 Then ON

[VO-AWCtimer]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If VO-AWC=ON Then ON
Defer 8:00 Then ON

Physical Outlets

[ATO]
Fallback ON
Set ON
If VO-AWC=ON Then OFF

[AWCdrain]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If VO-AWC=ON Then ON
If VO-AWCtimer=ON Then OFF

[AWCfill]
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If VO-AWC=ON Then ON
Defer 5:00 Then ON

Here's my logic...
  • From Fusion or my display module, I will set VO-AWC from Auto to ON to trigger the whole process. I will then immediately switch it back to Auto - the Min Time statement in [VO-AWC] will keep the cycle "active" and the outlet on for 15 minutes, after which the system goes back to running as normal.
  • With [VO-AWC] = ON, [VO-AWCtimer] is turned on and the defer statement effectively turns it into a timer. If [VO-AWC]=ON and [VO-AWCtimer]=OFF, I know I'm within the first 8 minutes of the cycle. If both = ON, then I know I'm beyond that 8-minute threshold.
  • [AWCdrain] will run from the time [VO-AWC] is turned on until the defer statement in [VO-AWCtimer] times out and [VO-AWCtimer] turns on.
  • [AWCfill] waits 5 minutes (giving the drain pump a chance to drain some water), then kicks on to refil.
  • After 15 minutes, everything turns off and the system returns to normal operation.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 07:17 PM   #16
Mashaw
Registered Member

I was under the impression that it should not be used as a water changer on large tanks due to the life span of the heads, but it was ok to be used on a nano or slightly larger cube

Mashaw is offline   Reply With Quote