Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Microcosmos
Registered Member

My dad’s old tank is my new tank

The whole tank with bubbles running

My little flame

My Toby puffer

My Spanish hog

My pair of clowns

My yellow

And my Picasso

The 120 has been up for about 8 months now since the move with new lights (60” actinic T5 and 250 watt 10K MH) and new powerheads that weren't there before, along with the air pumps and heaters. About 150 or so lbs of LR but not much growth on them (other than some algae) because my dad did not believe in expensive lights for his tank. Not a “traditional” setup (if there is such a thing) because there is no sump or overflow or mechanical or chemical filtration, but the fish are happy. Some softies too and I plan to add more but I'm waiting on some money to happen! Still definitely a work in progress but I enjoy it and I wanted to share some pics!

I hear that a great way to absorb excess nutrients so algae won't bloom is to add more coral, so I'm trying to go that route. I do remove bunches of it each week and I do biweekly 10 gallon water changes. A little more algae than I'd like, but I figure it's not hideous and the residual life from the LR that hasn't already been picked away by the fishes appreciates the nutrients. I feed 3 frozen cubes of Marine Cuisine, twice a day. I wonder if once the fish get closer to full size the cubes will be sufficient for them, and when to increase the number of cubes, but for now things are stable.

For anyone interested I can post water parameters later on, don't have those handy at the moment though.

Thanks for checking this out!! I thought I'd give my little water babies their moment in the limelight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Microcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:07 PM   #2
rfalvey89
Registered Member

gorgeous fish!
My only critique { please don't take offense } is scraping some algae off the glass

Current Tank Info: 150 gal powered by Ecotech Radions, Vectra, MP40QD's
rfalvey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 11:22 PM   #3
ncaldwell
Registered Member

The best way to remove excess nutrients so algea doesn't grow is having a good nutrient export system in place. A good filter you can change out, a protein skimmer, or media reactors for things like GFO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 12:35 AM   #4
Dromon
Registered Member

Beautiful fish. The puffer and angel even smiled for the camera!

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Microcosmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromon View Post
Beautiful fish. The puffer and angel even smiled for the camera!

Thank you!! I got lucky with their poses. They are not shy!!

Unread 03/13/2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Microcosmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfalvey89 View Post
gorgeous fish!
My only critique { please don't take offense } is scraping some algae off the glass

Thank you!! No offense taken, my only trouble is that the back of the tank is so hard to reach it's only 11” away from the wall so I can't get to it from behind and reaching it from the front is also a no-go

Unread 03/13/2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Microcosmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaldwell View Post
The best way to remove excess nutrients so algea doesn't grow is having a good nutrient export system in place. A good filter you can change out, a protein skimmer, or media reactors for things like GFO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Agreed!! But I decided to go sumpless since I really didn't have much of a choice since my dad gave it to me as-is. And honestly I know it's not ideal but it's not harming anything and I don't want to stick anything else in or on my tank... P.S. I heard another way to remove nutrients is to trap them in coral flesh!! Which I am definitely planning to do over time.