Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2017, 02:45 PM   #1
fernalfer
Registered Member

Hanna Alkalinity Tester

Ok i have dosed my tank to bring up my Alk from 8 dkh to 8.6dkh. I like this range because all corals look their best to me. Now that i have accomplished that i will start dosing BRS 2 part because i also have my Calcium where i want it.

So i have been testing Alk everyday since i raised it to 8.6 to get a baseline of how much Alk my tank uses in 1 day but finding this hard to do and here is why.

Sunday- Raised Alk to 8.6. Monday Tested Alk-8.6 Tuesday Alk-8.7 Wednesday Alk 8.6 and Thursday Alk-8.7. With these readings it is virtually impossible to see what my consumption of ALK is.

When i test i use the same equipment for each test. Use a timer so i'm doing everything within the sametime. I clean everything good with RODI water when tests are complete. Not really sure how i'm going to dose without knowing what my tank uses.

I very much doubt one day miraculously their is 1 dkh more of Alk without dosing it.

fernalfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 03:05 PM   #2
deputydog95
Registered Member

How big is your tank? How many stony corals do you have in there? How large are they? You may just not used anything perceptible on the meter. Which obviously has a little plus minus range to it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Unread 03/24/2017, 03:21 PM   #3
fernalfer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
How big is your tank? How many stony corals do you have in there? How large are they? You may just not used anything perceptible on the meter. Which obviously has a little plus minus range to it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have about 35 corals in a 120 gallon. Mix of zoas, softies, LPS and SPS. The only SPS i have is a Purple Monti Cap, Orange Setosa, Forest Fire Digita, Forest Fire Montipora, Jack o Lantern Lepto, Deep Space Psammocora and a Ponape Birdsnest

fernalfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 04:04 PM   #4
deputydog95
Registered Member

If they're just frags and your tank isn't seasoned, you might not be using much Alk at all at this point.

There are people out there that don't dose at all, and just do constant water changes.

Unread 03/24/2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Optionman
Registered Member

Trust your readings and be happy you have a stable system. Keep up your water change regiment and test weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2017, 10:49 AM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

If the kit is showing results that are that stable, I agree that the consumption might be minimal at this point. I'd continue testing once a week or so. The test kit might have a problem, so getting a second opinion might be useful.