Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Reefiez
Registered Member

Elegance coral hitchhikers ID?

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to check whether anyone could ID this, and whether they are harmful to my tank.

My elegance was in my QT for about 2 months now, I thought there were aiptasia growing on it, but ended up being harmless tubeworms (blue circles).

I moved the elegance to my DT 2 days ago.

After browsing the LPS forums here, I saw that there may actually be another hitchhiker on the skeleton. I was thinking whether it is Spirorbidae? Or perhaps Hydroids (i was look at that post when it scared the hell out of me).

I quickly moved it back to the QT.

I got some pictures using my phone, the quality isn't that great.

You can only barely see it against a darker background, and invisible when looking straight at it. It's like transparent hair, a little bendy...

Actually now that I think about it, I've had a few incidents of transparent spikes lodged in my hands over these few weeks, I've been super confused where they came from, but now I suspect it could have been from handling the elegance and touching unidentified hitchhiker?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Unread 03/26/2017, 05:40 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

It looks like a cluster of Spionid worms IMO. In most cases these are harmless, but they have been known to irritate certain corals.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 07:40 PM   #3
_ld99
Registered Member

My elegance has the same thing on it. I would leave it IMO. I took mine out of the tank to kill those things and the coral slimed and wouldn't open for a few days after. It opens now but still doesn't look too good. If the elegance is still opening up during the day I wouldn't be too worried. Trying to kill them only made my problem worse. If they start to multiply I would remove the coral and try to kill them. You could also reduce feeding and hope that starves them

Last edited by _ld99; 03/31/2017 at 07:46 PM.
_ld99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 08:41 AM   #4
Reefiez
Registered Member

I've moved it back to QT for the time being. My fingers have been pricked like crazy from handling them without gloves. It sticks into my fingers (usually 1 or 2), and a b**** to get out, even with tweezers.

I'll be using gloves when handling anything in my tank from now on!

Unread 04/05/2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Bugboy2020
Registered Member

I use cheap kitchen gloves whenever I do anything in my aquarium. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Bugboy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 05:51 PM   #6
cap23244
Registered Member

I had them and they took over my sand bed in a few years . I am tearing my tank down now. get them off now if you can. in the sand bed I have in my 125 you can pull them out by the hand full. there not good long term.

Current Tank Info: 55-125 33 40l 72 bow flatback
cap23244 is offline   Reply With Quote