Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Stickman87
Registered Member

Macro algae in main tank?

So I have a 40b fowlr tank with a 29 gallon sump and want to add some macro algae for nitrates and just like the looks of some of them. But was wondering if you can put it in the main tank and lighting periods I'm running dual ati t5 for 8 hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Stickman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 03:39 PM   #2
cougareyes
Registered Member

I'm just starting to get into macros, so far my understanding is their needs are similar to reef conditions, with the lighting spectrum just a bit different. Are you running 2x 24w t5s, for 8 hours I don't think that's going to be enough light. You could research some to find some lower light species, for nutrient export you may be better with a par38 bulb for 12 hours in a refugium dedicated section of your sump.

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Stickman87
Registered Member

Ok I'll look around for some low light ones to put in the main tank I'm really using it for nitrates and just looks good

Unread 04/11/2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Gagonzalez
Reef Fanatic

I run Halimeda in my DT without issues.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 28g Nano / Aquamaxx HOB-1 / TLF 150 with GFO/ Vortech MP10QD / JBJ ATO / In-Tank Basket / AI Hydra26
Gagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Stickman87
Registered Member

Ok and an 8 hour cycle of lights are ok with 2 24 watt bulbs?