Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2017, 08:52 AM   #1
steallife904
Registered Member

Few LPS dropping heads

I am at a loss... I have been in the hobby for many years and for the most part know what I am doing and have had a thriving tank with LPS and SPS. Well back in October my wife and I had a baby, my attention shifted and I slacked on the tank. During this time I over dosed ALK and lost a lot of coral, pretty much all of the SPS. Well I have been working on it for months now, have my alk back at 7.6 (i had doser but shut it down until i got all levels back, i just turned back on alk only to bring it to 8.) my calc has been 500+, mag 1480. No nitrate or phosphate readings, salinity 1.026 and do weekly water changes with Kent reef salt. I feed frozen rods food with nps pellets and flakes daily.....

Problem is corals still going down hill. Some have decided to stop opening up like my acans, I have had 2 lobos just drop there heads and now my giant frogspawn colony i have had for 10 years head a few heads just detach from skeleton and float away???????????? What is going on. Anything you guys can think of that could be the issue, what i should look at or test, or what should i do???

Last edited by steallife904; 04/27/2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 07:00 AM   #2
aromano
Registered Member

how long has it been between the high alk and what your seeing now? Some problems just take long time to recover from . What kind of lights are you running? When I was running T 5s and had life events that distracted from the hobby I would let the lights go too long without changing bulbs and lost some LPS in same fashion you describe bailout of polyps.

aromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Pond Boy
Registered Member

You are staving the corals out with no nitrate or phos you need to bring those up just a tiny bit...

Current Tank Info: JBJ 12g
Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 02:17 PM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

If you haven't already you might want to research "Polyp Bailout."

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote