Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2017, 04:16 AM   #1
TitanTV
Registered Member

Titan Trigger free to awesome home!

I really hate to do this. Completely painful! But it looks like I "may" need to find Nacho a new awesome home. (Titan Trigger about 7 inches and have owned him for almost 10 years). We are selling our house and will have about 45-60 days in between selling this home and being in our new house. I will be parting with my tank locally so even once I get in my new house it could be another couple months before he is in a new aquarium. And my new home is about 7 hours away.

My original plan was to just keep him in one of the largest BRUTE trash cans so I can move him, but I am not sure he will last 3 months or so in a trash can..ugh!! In some regards I have taken care of him this long and while moving is also tough for my wife and daughter I was thinking maybe Nacho should just suck it up and we try and make it happen.

But, If there is anyone out there with a huge tank and would like to give Nacho a new home let me know. I will not sell him and I will even figure out how to get him to you (if you live in driving distance from Washington DC that would be a plus--even if it was 6 hours or so).

The one basic requirement is you are an experienced and established member of this website. I am sorry but I cannot give him to someone who if going to put him into a 75 gallon with 10 other fish. I do understand few people keep solo fish so he will have to figure out how to get along with others.

I am not 100% sure how I will decide to proceed but if you are interested please post to this thread and over the next week or so I will weigh the options and decide.

Thanks all.

Chris and Nacho

TitanTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 04:38 AM   #2
johnike
Moved On

Chris, perhaps a big Rubbermaid trough for a while in the garage or basement?

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 04:45 AM   #3
welsher7
Registered Member

Is there a local store that could hold him for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: A rebuilding year.....
welsher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 05:20 AM   #4
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

I do hope you can work something out, and can keep Nacho.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 05:35 AM   #5
caribfan
Registered Member

What about a member who would hold him for you? I'm in Ohio, which isn't even beginning to be close enough. I'd set up a 125 though if you were closer and just hold him until you were ready to get him back.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 06:34 AM   #6
andrewkw
Registered Member

This situation really hits home. I moved about 7 hours away and had about the same amount of time in between houses. I stayed with my parents in the mean time and I lost LOTS of stuff. That being said I had about 15 fish and tons of different corals and kept them alive in holding tanks.

Still many things survived including my clownfish of 12 years. That being said one fish can be kept alive relatively easily even if he is a big boy. My problem was entirely jamming too much stuff into too small tanks and corals being a more sensitive than fish.

Stock tank is the easiest option or even a 120-180 aquarium if you can find one in your new location for cheap regardless of condition. If you've got marine pure blocks or something similar that will suffice for filtration. Prime / Water changes should be fine for a fish. Get some massive pvc or other large pipe to hide and he can ride it out in those until you get a new tank.

andrewkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 07:30 AM   #7
humaguy
Premium Member

Noooo!

Sorry, wish I had room.

Have you looked into a stock tank?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...0-gal-capacity

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 08:15 AM   #8
TitanTV
Registered Member

all good suggestions! I could see a stock tank working in between and maybe a trash can to move him. Still trying to sort it out

TitanTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2017, 10:08 AM   #9
moriarty
Registered Member

Gutted for you that you may have to part with him after so long!

I would look into the stock tank option first though.

For filtration, you could set a trash can up on a couple of milk crates (pump and heater would be kept under these) to prevent Nacho from getting bored and testing them out with his chompers. Pump the water up through the bottom of the can about two thirds of the way via PVC pipe. Surround pipe with pot scrubbies for mechanical/biological filtration. Maybe put a "T" at the top of the pipe with a couple of 90's so that the water flows down over the scrubbies. Drill some smaller holes toward the bottom of the can for water to return to the tub. Shouldn't make too much noise, and is very quick and easy to put together.

Here's a pic of my sump to give you more of an idea... Not exactly a center piece for a living room, but it will serve it's purpose!

The stock tank would be my first choice, but if you need something a bit more portable, lots of options for metal frame pools (all shapes and sizes, from about 60 gallons up) can be found on Amazon for very little $. Koi holding/show tanks may be another option. If you go the metal frame route, I recommend doing a pond liner (45 mil, or even 90 mil to be safe if you can find one) over the vinyl for Nacho. They are extremely tough, and I'd be very surprised if he could make much of a dent in one in a few months time.

moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote