Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Hentz
Registered Member

Best Height for SPS Dominant - 20" vs 24" Tall

Hey guys, so I purchased a 7 year old tank a few weeks ago.
It's built from LeeMar with the dimensions of 46x24x20, starfire front panel, and a coast-to-coast overflow. I absolutely love the dimensions of it as I was originally planning a 120 (48x24x24) or 48x24x20). Only downfall is there are a handful of scratches.

I came across a used and well taken care of 120 Gallon for the same price as a stand for my Leemar. Corner overflow, Eurobraced, stand, canopy, and sump.

Then I got thinking, both tanks are great dimensions. However, would the extra 4" tall allow for more SPS growth?
I keep looking at my Reefer 170 and think, it's nice having the shallow tank but will my acros (as one is already reaching near the surface) be better with the extra 4" of height?

I'd love to get your opinions on this. I've seen GORGEOUS tanks for both sizes. Always dreamt of both of these dimensions but want to be smart in my choices.

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:10 AM   #2
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

I think its mostly personal preference. That said, the shallower the tank, the more light your sps will get and light is key with sps. But 20-24" isn't a big difference. Mine is 22" with a 20" water height. My next tank I plan to go longer and deeper, but I'll probably shoot for a similar height, 20-22".

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

I like the 24" height personally. Light shouldn't be an issue if you have an appropriate amount. 8x54 watt t5ho, or 250 watt halides minimum. LEDs eh. Depends on what and how many. Any 3-5 watt per diode fixture will produce more than enough par for 24" deep it's just about having enough of them to cover the shadowing adequately. 24" height just allows for more flow control, more swimming room, more height for stag growth. Only downside is if you have short arms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Hentz
Registered Member

I tested my arms, no big deal on both tanks.

I will be running a 6x54 Sunpower though. Would've opted for the 8 bulb but figured it would be too much for my 46x24x20, especially with the overflow being about 3.5" from coast to coast leaving my tank about 20" with really useable real estate.

Unread 05/26/2017, 11:53 AM   #5
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentz View Post
I tested my arms, no big deal on both tanks.

I will be running a 6x54 Sunpower though. Would've opted for the 8 bulb but figured it would be too much for my 46x24x20, especially with the overflow being about 3.5" from coast to coast leaving my tank about 20" with really useable real estate.
The recommendation for T5 with SPS is one bulb per 3 inches. So assuming 24" deep, you'd want an 8 bulb. But assuming your overflow removes 3.5" as you say, then 6 bulb should be fine.

Unread 05/26/2017, 12:03 PM   #6
Hentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
The recommendation for T5 with SPS is one bulb per 3 inches. So assuming 24" deep, you'd want an 8 bulb. But assuming your overflow removes 3.5" as you say, then 6 bulb should be fine.
I've never heard that before, but that makes great sense. Glad I know that now.

Unread 05/26/2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Bpb
Registered Member

I run all 8 bulbs on my 90 gallon 48x18x24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:00 PM   #8
reefmutt
Registered Member

I'd definitely go for the extra height.
More swimming room for the fish above the acros and more area of unobstructed water flow.
And I hate when acros hit the surface, they start to grow funny.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 01:24 PM   #9
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you can light it, go for the extra height.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Pife
Registered Member

It would be nice to have the extra water volume.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Stolireef
Registered Member

I actually prefer the lower height just because I have short arms. To me, front to back depth is way more important than height.

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 09:15 PM   #12
rovster
Registered Member

The deeper tank can be more impressive IF you can fill it. My tank is 19" tall and now that I've got a few colonies in there I wish I had gone taller. It's easy to be short sighted when you start out and all you have is 1" frags (pun intended). I happen to LOVE stags and I haveca couple that are 7-8" and a few more in the 4-5" range that are really starting to consume the water column.

I still love my tank dimensions but I have my days when I wish it was taller. It wasn't until I saw a couple of grown in tanks with massive colonies that I truly began to appreciate the real beauty of SPS namely acros and that is STRUCTURE. Forget that miniature rainbow nonsense, gimme a huge green slimer or blue tipped stag or a huge table any day. My opinion of course

Current Tank Info: Tank killed by Hurricane Irma...once dust settles restart to come...
rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2017, 09:25 PM   #13
Wiskey
Registered Member

Extra height is really nice if you want a mixed reef which needs lower light areas, but for SPS only the shallow wide tanks are really nice because you can get all the light you need for montis at the bottom and grow acros above them.

That being said, I'm not totally sure 6 T5's are enough for the highest light corals. I had 4HO with good reflectors (not overdriven) over a 75 that is 18" wide, and that barely kept them alive. Adding 2 more, or led sups was the ticket for growth. I had good light in the center, but the outer edges were dark. I verified this with a PAR meter and growth rates.

Whiskey