Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/10/2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Valentini89
Registered Member

Chiller q

Hi.. If I have a 175 gallon display and 40 g sump, would a 1/2 h chiller do the trick in a room the gets real hot?

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 09:13 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
Hi.. If I have a 175 gallon display and 40 g sump, would a 1/2 h chiller do the trick in a room the gets real hot?
It's a bit overkill IMO. I ran a 1/2HP on my system back when I needed a chiller and at the time, I was around 600 gallons. My only concern would be that it may drop the temp too fast. For a tank that size, I'd normally recommend a 1/3HP but depending on how hot the room gets and the pumps and other equipment on the tank, that may not be an issue. Ideally I like to see about 1* an hour drop but 2* an hour is about as fast a drop as I would ever go.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 09:16 PM   #3
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
It's a bit overkill IMO. I ran a 1/2HP on my system back when I needed a chiller and at the time, I was around 600 gallons. My only concern would be that it may drop the temp too fast. For a tank that size, I'd normally recommend a 1/3HP but depending on how hot the room gets and the pumps and other equipment on the tank, that may not be an issue. Ideally I like to see about 1* an hour drop but 2* an hour is about as fast a drop as I would ever go.
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

You are in Florida and should you lose power for days, say due to a hurricane, your house could get really hot. I'd go for the 1/2hp at least. better to have too much cooling ability than not enough. I had a 180g reef with a 75g hexagon specialty tank and a 180g regugium/sump and I installed a 1hp chiller out in my backyard (north wall and inside a plastic storage unit). It ran all 6+ years I had the 180g tank (400g system) and it still works today with my current 125g DT, 50g display refugium and 50g sump.

Old 06/11/2017, 08:39 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Do the math. Chillers are sized for temp pull down per volume. So, for example, if your tank runs 8 degrees hotter than you'd like, for 200 gallons, that will give you a BTU requirement and tell you which model is most appropriate. BTW, takes 8 BTU to heat/cool a US gallon of water by 1 degree.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 06/11/2017 at 08:46 AM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote