Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2017, 06:49 PM   #1
bangaicardinal
Registered Member

Exclamation 125g FOWLR Barebottom with 45g sump and NO skimmer - anyone done it?

Hey everyone, I've finally finished my basement and brought a drilled 125g out of storage to set up in the new room. I am excited to start my first FOWLR predator tank (I've got a 20g mixed reef upstairs). So, basically I'm looking for experience with minimalist nutrient export using macro algae and turf scrubbers. I've got a 45g sump (just a tank, no baffles or seperate chambers or anything). I was hoping to plumb the overflow from the tank into one side, and a return pump to my tank on the other side (I've got a UV sterilizer on the water returning to the tank). I have an older skimmer (aquamedic or something), that I will put to use if need be. However I would like to try and fill the sump with macroalgae and LR and do a turf scrubber.

Has anyone tried to run a system like this without a skimmer? Any success?

I've got over 100lbs of LR (well, it's dead now) and probably about 80lbs of dead sand that I am thinking about throwing into the kids sandbox as I'd like to try barebottom. Any advice would be much appreciated

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (51.9 KB, 32 views)
bangaicardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 08:04 PM   #2
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Seriously, I'd be careful about what I put in the kid's sandbox, I'd sift it to get out the sharp shells. Then it could all dumped in a sandbox, but i say this as a slightly over protective great grandmother.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 09:11 PM   #3
cougareyes
Registered Member

I've run predator tanks as large as 180 with old school wet/dry, no skimmer no macro. Tanks looked great and fish were vibrant and healthy. So yeah, like you said you can always add a skimmer down the line. Today with the knowledge of macro and scrubbers, even carbon dosing; you can run a much more streamline tank if you want.

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Dromon
Registered Member

I keep no skimmer FOWLRs . I use a deep sand bed, heavy water changes, lots of live rock, carbon, filter floss and phosphate remover. I also under stock the tank to minimize pollution.

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 09:39 AM   #5
bangaicardinal
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, I feel more confident going into this now.

bangaicardinal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 gallon, algae scrubber, bare bottom, fowlr, macro algae