Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/12/2017, 12:31 PM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Flukes help

I've treat my dt with prazi pro because I suspect my clowns having flukes. I came to the conclusion because I've noticed white parasites clung to my female clown fishes face. Her gills seem slightly swollen and she's been slightly twitching hear head and the skin on her head is becoming discoloured. After treating earlier she was fine after an hour of the lights going out she is rubbing her hear head virously in the sand. Are the flukes getting irratated my the meds and trying to get off my clown? Is this normal?

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 12:38 PM   #2
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

There looks to be something attached next to her eye, one on her Gill and one attached to her chin. I'm sure there skin flukes what do you think?

Unread 06/12/2017, 12:42 PM   #3
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Also noticed a lot of yawning.

Unread 06/12/2017, 01:34 PM   #4
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Next observation I managed to net her pulled out the water for closer inspection and whatever was latched onto her face must of let go when she hit air. Would flukes do this?

Unread 06/12/2017, 02:51 PM   #5
lagatbezan
Registered Member

you can try doing a fresh water dip and see if anything falls off the fish. It could be she is irritated from all the flukes that fell off, but if you are still seeing them attached to the fish then the treatment might not effective. As good as prazipro is, there are some types of flukes that it cant kill or they have become immune to it. in some instances you might have to up the concentration or resort to using formalin or hypo. personally I currently have a flame angel in Qt that prazi pro has not been able to eradicate flukes for after 4 round of treatment as well as a round of general cure so I just started using formalin.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 12:03 AM   #6
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagatbezan View Post
you can try doing a fresh water dip and see if anything falls off the fish. It could be she is irritated from all the flukes that fell off, but if you are still seeing them attached to the fish then the treatment might not effective. As good as prazipro is, there are some types of flukes that it cant kill or they have become immune to it. in some instances you might have to up the concentration or resort to using formalin or hypo. personally I currently have a flame angel in Qt that prazi pro has not been able to eradicate flukes for after 4 round of treatment as well as a round of general cure so I just started using formalin.
The thing is I have a wrasse and second clown and the seem fine. All the info I've read about flukes is you can't see them with your eyes. I look at her this morning and she had one attached to her eye. I netted her and again when I lifted her out the water it had gone.