Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2017, 01:15 AM   #1
Humuhumu787
Registered Member

Lionfish Compatibility

Has anyone successfully kept 2 different species of small - med sized lionfish together?

Could I keep a Hawaiian Red Lionfish (Pterois sphex) and Hawaiian Green Lionfish (Dendrochirus barberi) together in a 55 with plenty of rock work for caves and ledges to perch?

Would a 55 be sufficient for both or just one?

Thank you!

Humuhumu787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 01:20 AM   #2
FinnCole
Registered Member

You should be fine but you will need a good skimmer

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

FinnCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 08:27 PM   #3
cougareyes
Registered Member

Yes, they are actually very social and like hanging out together.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (45.8 KB, 48 views)

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2017, 03:01 AM   #4
Humuhumu787
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!

@cougareyes, thanks for the picture. It's very encouraging!

Unread 07/01/2017, 03:03 AM   #5
Humuhumu787
Registered Member

cougareyes, in your experience, are Pterois sphex more difficult to care for than other lions?

Unread 07/01/2017, 09:05 PM   #6
cougareyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humuhumu787 View Post
cougareyes, in your experience, are Pterois sphex more difficult to care for than other lions?
No more than the other medium and dwarf species, be prepared to feed them live foods when you first get them. If you plan to wean them to dead food just remember there's never 100% guarantee. I feed my lions mainly live foods and really advocate that versus dead or at least some live occasionally for their enrichment. It also keeps them so much more active and entertaining.

Current Tank Info: 210g fowlr: yellow belly dogface puffer, harlequin tusk, pinktail and pair of bluejaw triggers, majestic angel, orange shoulder and scopus tangs. one spot fox: 90g lps reef with an antennata , zebra and fuzzy dwarf, fu manchu lions, yellow mimic tang
Unread 07/10/2017, 02:33 AM   #7
Humuhumu787
Registered Member

Thanks cougareyes! I now have a juvenile dendrochirus barber I in my 55.
I'm feeding it live brackish glass shrimp and live hawaiian silversides.
I love the barberi but it's a bit shy and hides in the rock all day.

In your experience, are Pteoris sphex an active species? Or are they also relatively stationary fish?

Unread 07/10/2017, 10:29 AM   #8
cougareyes
Registered Member

If you decide to train your lions to dead food they will become more stationary, just perching or hanging in a cave. It sounds as if you have good choices in live food, feed them every other day maybe even every 3rd day every once in while until you see a nice bulge in their belly. Feeding them live will keep their predatory nature and they will be so much more active. Good for you, enjoy, I'd love to see a pic

Unread 07/11/2017, 12:03 AM   #9
Humuhumu787
Registered Member

Dendrochirus barberi

He's about as long and wide as a thumb, little juvenile that's still red.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5017.jpg (74.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5023.jpg (60.8 KB, 22 views)
Unread 07/11/2017, 09:01 AM   #10
cougareyes
Registered Member

Very, very cool. At that size he's going to be quite shy, timid about predators hunting him. Once he becomes more comfortable with the tank and you add the other one, providing you're feeding live food; you;ll be thrilled with the show.

You get alot of "train your lion" info online, and all you get from that is a stationary display that in the end isn't as hardy. My oldest occupant is a fu manchu that is now over 5 years old. I've had people in the industry see my lion tank and always comment how active they are, usually the main complaint you hear is how they are not active.

My lions are so friendly I have to swat them away when I clean the tank, pretty scary with 4 of them. I could hand feed them if I were brave enough, the spikes on the antennata are like 4".

Unread 07/11/2017, 02:12 PM   #11
cougareyes
Registered Member

It will be a safer bet if the sphex of of comparable size when you add him.

Tags
aggressive, compatibility, lionfish