Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2017, 09:33 AM   #1
prosper
Registered Member

first tank off to a good start

I set up my first tank about a month ago... (like 26 days) and its going pretty well
I have 2 clowns in there right now and my nitrates, and ammonia are holding steady at 0. Ive been doing 10% water changes every 5 days then 7 then 5 then 7 alternating each time, I'm just wondering where I should go from here.

I'm picking up 40-50lbs of cured live rock tomorrow or Thursday and ordering a skimmer shortly after, I thought I had my stocking list down but now I'm not too sure, here are my options, what do you recommend?

option 1:1 royal gramma, 1 firefish, 1 dragonet, 1 shrimp and goby pair

option 2:1 royal gramma, 1 firefish, 1 dwarf angel, 1 hawkfish

option 3:1 orchid dotty back, 1 shrimp and goby pair, 3 chromis...

what should I do, or do a mixture of as far as compatibility? (this will be a mixed reef) with some crustaceans, etc...

prosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 11:16 AM   #2
1stanker
Registered Member

Re-cure live rock

Hi, Im also on my first tank, it's been running about a year, I would consider re-curing the live rock in a plastic garbage can for a couple weeks in heated flowing saltwater, I've heard of live rock causing a second mini cycle when added to a running tank, spiking ammonia levels causing a die off or crash. After a week or two and a water change test the rock water for ammonia, if it's 0ppm it's ready to go in. I would let it re-soak until you get a 0ppm for ammonia.

1stanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 11:22 AM   #3
1stanker
Registered Member

Stocking list

Your final stocking list would depend on the tank size.

I would hold off on a dragonette for at least 6 months to let your copepod population grow to a self sustaining level.

A Hawk fish will limit the type of snails and shrimp you can add later, but they are usually ok with corals.

1stanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 05:50 PM   #4
prosper
Registered Member

oh shoot I can't believe I forgot tank size, its a 38 gallon, (36,14,20)

Unread 07/05/2017, 07:41 AM   #5
prosper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stanker View Post
Hi, Im also on my first tank, it's been running about a year, I would consider re-curing the live rock in a plastic garbage can for a couple weeks in heated flowing saltwater, I've heard of live rock causing a second mini cycle when added to a running tank, spiking ammonia levels causing a die off or crash. After a week or two and a water change test the rock water for ammonia, if it's 0ppm it's ready to go in. I would let it re-soak until you get a 0ppm for ammonia.
that seems like a very good idea

Unread 07/05/2017, 01:21 PM   #6
sdbc
Registered Member

It may depend on what type of clownfish you have. I've read breeding pairs of ones like tomato clowns can be very aggressive to anything else in the tank.

From your list, definitely the Royal Gramma. I've always had one in my tank and it's nice to have a fish that is peaceful, beautiful and easy to care for. On the other hand, I had a flame angel in a tank a smidge larger than yours and while it was beautiful, it had its moments. It killed a couple of other fish and heavily nipped at some soft corals over the course of 3 years. Reading other posts over the years say dwarf angels are hit or miss as to their personalities. I'm not saying don't get one, but know the risks going in.

Current Tank Info: 125g mixed reef, 20g F/W planted
sdbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 03:33 PM   #7
prosper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbc View Post
It may depend on what type of clownfish you have. I've read breeding pairs of ones like tomato clowns can be very aggressive to anything else in the tank.

From your list, definitely the Royal Gramma. I've always had one in my tank and it's nice to have a fish that is peaceful, beautiful and easy to care for. On the other hand, I had a flame angel in a tank a smidge larger than yours and while it was beautiful, it had its moments. It killed a couple of other fish and heavily nipped at some soft corals over the course of 3 years. Reading other posts over the years say dwarf angels are hit or miss as to their personalities. I'm not saying don't get one, but know the risks going in.
they are a pair (meaning 2 of them) of ocellaris so I don't think ill have any territory problems

Unread 07/05/2017, 07:22 PM   #8
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
they are a pair (meaning 2 of them) of ocellaris so I don't think ill have any territory problems
I think sdbc meant that the clowns would be aggressive towards other tankmates, not each other. I have to agree. Clowns are part of the damselfish family and can be real jerks in a small tank. I had a black ocellaris clown in a 30 gallon tank at one time. I couldn't even safely clean the tank because it wouldn't stop biting me. She even drew blood at times.

Unread 07/06/2017, 02:19 PM   #9
prosper
Registered Member

does anybody know anything about orange spotted filefish?

Unread 07/07/2017, 07:38 AM   #10
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
does anybody know anything about orange spotted filefish?
Short lifespan in captivity because they aren't easy to keep. They generally feed exclusively on acropora coral, which most people aren't willing to sacrifice to keep this fish alive. Not a fish most would recommend based on its feeding habits alone.

Unread 07/07/2017, 10:16 AM   #11
prosper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
Short lifespan in captivity because they aren't easy to keep. They generally feed exclusively on acropora coral, which most people aren't willing to sacrifice to keep this fish alive. Not a fish most would recommend based on its feeding habits alone.
bummer, they're really cool fish