Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2017, 09:30 PM   #1
Newtoswsara
Registered Member

Question Stocking 38 gallon

My stock so far:
3 pajama cardinals
1 diamond watchman
1 molly
25 hermit crabs
3 emerald crabs

I am just starting to dabble in corals... currently only have 1 frag I got from petco.

I would like a centerpiece fish... to me, clowns are just too cliche I guess. I mean, I wouldn't want a regular "nemo" liking one. But a centerpiece fish that wasn't even a clown at all would make me the happiest. I'm just not sure what I could fit in my tank. I know it's not big at all and I u sets fans that I'm limited. But what are my options?

Newtoswsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 09:38 PM   #2
ladynavyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtoswsara View Post
My stock so far:
3 pajama cardinals
1 diamond watchman
1 molly
25 hermit crabs
3 emerald crabs

I am just starting to dabble in corals... currently only have 1 frag I got from petco.

I would like a centerpiece fish... to me, clowns are just too cliche I guess. I mean, I wouldn't want a regular "nemo" liking one. But a centerpiece fish that wasn't even a clown at all would make me the happiest. I'm just not sure what I could fit in my tank. I know it's not big at all and I u sets fans that I'm limited. But what are my options?
You have 3 emerald crabs in a 38 gallon tank? I was told no more that 1 emerald crab in my 40 gallon tank. Are you aware how big they can grow?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ladynavyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Newtoswsara
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynavyvet View Post
You have 3 emerald crabs in a 38 gallon tank? I was told no more that 1 emerald crab in my 40 gallon tank. Are you aware how big they can grow?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
They get like 3 inches? Was I researching the wrong thing? I was told 3 was my max

Unread 07/05/2017, 02:03 AM   #4
McPuff
Registered Member

I have never been able to keep multiple emerald crabs in a tank. They seem to run out of food and just disappear. I currently have ONE in my 300 gallon reef. While I don't see it very often, it's kind of a treat to see it... and I don't think it will run out of food in there. But who knows!

I also put a single emerald crab in my 40 gal pond/refugium. There is a lot of algae in there so I assume it'll be fine. But I haven't seen it since putting it in there. They seem to be tricky little creatures for unknown reasons.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2017, 09:08 AM   #5
Newtoswsara
Registered Member

Damn. Okay, I'll only keep one of them then and keep an eye on him.

Any other ideas or concerns about my stocking though?

Unread 07/05/2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

For a great friendly and cool fish that can fit in your tank I would suggest a Valentini puffer. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...250&pcatid=250

He gets along with all the other fish in my tank and is easy to take care of, but if not well fed he will nip at corals.

For a coral safe option I might suggest a six line wrasse http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...375&pcatid=375

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote