Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Kalk Question

Just got some Mrs Wages Pickling Lime in the mail,filled up a 5 gallon salt bucket with RODI then added 2 teaspoons of the lime and mixed it. Is it normal to have a white film on the top of the water after adding lime?

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 07:49 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Yes, that is normal.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 07:51 PM   #3
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Yes, that is normal.
Thanks.

I mixed it about 3 hours ago and the mixture is still pretty cloudy under the film does it typically take this long to settle?

Unread 07/08/2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Just an update

The kalk water never settled over night. When I move the top film it still is very cloudy and I cant see the bottom of the container. What happened?

Is it because a red sea salt bucket isn't 5 gallons? I have it next to my actual 5 gallon bucket and its definitely smaller but not that much. How clear should I expect the kalk solution to get?

Last edited by Bill Nye; 07/08/2017 at 07:18 AM.
Unread 07/08/2017, 08:23 AM   #5
jayball
Registered Member

The extra kalk and precipitate that settles to the bottom is very fine and easy to stir up. Within an hour or two you should be able to see the bottom clearly. Have any animals that may be bumping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball View Post
The extra kalk and precipitate that settles to the bottom is very fine and easy to stir up. Within an hour or two you should be able to see the bottom clearly. Have any animals that may be bumping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Upon further inspection it seems like there is still the film on the top but when I moved the top film I could see down to the bottom of the bucket and noticed a little bit of white precipitate on the bottom.

The fluid is not clear though. I would say its transparent but you can definitely tell its white. Can this be dosed or should I start over again?

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:46 PM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Personally, I would start over.

As others have said, you should get a film on top, very fine and white sediment on the bottom, and nothing but completely crystal clear solution in between. There should be very little sediment at all unless you're using lots of kalk and saturating the solution (which is totally fine and sometimes desirable).

What's your source water like? How are you mixing the solution? Are you aerating? (you shouldn't be, it will pull the kalk back out of solution via atmospheric CO2).

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote