Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Zweebe
Registered Member

APEX WAV or Ecotech Vortech MP40 QD?

Hello guys,

I'm about to reset my tank, and upgrade it a lot, because it was launch very quickly four years ago and some things didn't work really well...

And I have a question for you, SPS LOVERS, I'm really hesitant about the water movement and the pump. The tank is a 120x80x55 (cm) and will be full SPS.

So there is the question: APEX WAV x2 or Ecotech Vortech MP40 QD x2 ??

If you have others ideas, let me know! :-)

Thanks !

Zweebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 06:55 AM   #2
finrod2
Premium Member

Pumps

I have both Eco MP60 and wavs. I like em both. I think the MP's have a bit wider flow but the Wav are a bit more flexible in that the direction can be adjusted somewhat. Flow is good for both. The other issue is that I use my wavs with3/4 acrylic and they stay attached very well. My MP60's not as well.

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Zweebe
Registered Member

Thanks !

And what about noise? Does the WAV more controllable than the Vortech?

Unread 08/04/2017, 07:22 AM   #4
finrod2
Premium Member

Wav is more quiet, control is about the same.

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 08:00 AM   #5
phenom5
Unregistered Member

For that size tank, I'd probably go with 2 MP40QDs.

Would like to swap out my 2 Wavs for 2 MP60QDs, but I can't stomach the cost at the moment.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 04:53 AM   #6
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom5 View Post
For that size tank, I'd probably go with 2 MP40QDs.

Would like to swap out my 2 Wavs for 2 MP60QDs, but I can't stomach the cost at the moment.
Thanks for the advice!

But why would you change your WAVs for 2 MP60QDs?

Unread 08/06/2017, 09:14 AM   #7
phenom5
Unregistered Member

I prefer the flow from the Vortechs. The Wavs are good and push the water further, but the flow isn't as broad. It's more concentrated and moves at a high velocity vs the Vortechs. I didn't feel like the 40s were enough for my tank (72" or 182cm).

Unread 08/06/2017, 10:58 AM   #8
Wiskey
Registered Member

I think it's worth mentioning the Tunze 6105 in this conversation. They come with two different front pieces for different flow patterns, have a built in wave maker, or with a cheap cable can be run by the Apex. The company makes a very high quality product, they have been around forever and they even have a forum here where they support their product.

I've used them for a long time and love them.

Whiskey

Unread 08/06/2017, 07:49 PM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Getting the motor/electricity out of the tank will always favor vortech for me.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 03:01 AM   #10
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Getting the motor/electricity out of the tank will always favor vortech for me.

Yes, that's also why I'm thinking of Vortech despite the fact the flow is straight from the pump. But If I choose Vortech, I'm still thinking about where I'll put the two pump... Both of them at the same side? In opposit? Same side of the sump alimentation? Other side?

Unread 08/07/2017, 09:07 AM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've always had the best success with one mounted on each end of the tank. Goal is to affect chaotic flow. Can't generate a realistic wave in the tank so no reason really to bother trying.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 09:23 AM   #12
phenom5
Unregistered Member

100% agree with ca1ore.

Not being able to turn the Vortechs is really not a big deal either IMO, because the flow is so broad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

Unread 08/08/2017, 12:51 AM   #13
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
100% agree with ca1ore.

Not being able to turn the Vortechs is really not a big deal either IMO, because the flow is so broad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk
So broad but will it be broad enough on 120cm long?

Unread 08/08/2017, 06:17 AM   #14
phenom5
Unregistered Member

Yea, IME the 40's flow starts to fall off at about 3ft or 91cm.

Unread 08/08/2017, 06:38 AM   #15
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, IME the 40's flow starts to fall off at about 3ft or 91cm.
Agreed, based on my experience.

For my 5'x2'x2' Peninsula SPS tank, I went with 2 Tunze 6105s on the one end against the wall. They have no problem pushing to the other end with high velocity. I have them pointed across each other to increase turbulence and they are completely controllable with an Apex. The distance of stream is definitely greater on the 6105s than on my MP60 on my other tank.

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 06:47 AM   #16
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerBioProf View Post
Agreed, based on my experience.

For my 5'x2'x2' Peninsula SPS tank, I went with 2 Tunze 6105s on the one end against the wall. They have no problem pushing to the other end with high velocity. I have them pointed across each other to increase turbulence and they are completely controllable with an Apex. The distance of stream is definitely greater on the 6105s than on my MP60 on my other tank.
Any specific reason you went with the 6105 vs the 6095? I am on the fence between these 2 for my 125 6'.

Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 07:43 AM   #17
plyle02
Registered Member

I am surprised that the single biggest selling point of Ecotech above all are the fact that you can maintain them much easier. All others have cords attached that have to be disconnected for maintenance. Something highly overlooked in this hobby, regular maintenance of stream pumps that is. Having back up wet sides make the Ecotech even more of an advantage as you can swap a clean one out. I have to also agree with above statement regarding leaving out Tunze, these pumps are my second choice no doubt, and if easier to clean and maintain, would be top choice, as they last forever

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 01:22 AM   #18
Zweebe
Registered Member

Ok, as plyle02 said, a big advantage of Ecotech is the fact that the wet part can be removed easily without disconnect any cords for the maintenance and that's a huge one for me.. I don't really like to disconnect cords etc just to clean the pump...

Unfortunately, the tunze has too much cords for me ahah I think I will go for two Vortech MP40w QD this time connected to the APEX.

Just an other question, can we settle the flow mode etc by APEX Fusion? Or even switch off the pump (when maintenance for instance)?

Unread 08/09/2017, 06:01 AM   #19
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweebe View Post
Ok, as plyle02 said, a big advantage of Ecotech is the fact that the wet part can be removed easily without disconnect any cords for the maintenance and that's a huge one for me.. I don't really like to disconnect cords etc just to clean the pump...

Unfortunately, the tunze has too much cords for me ahah I think I will go for two Vortech MP40w QD this time connected to the APEX.

Just an other question, can we settle the flow mode etc by APEX Fusion? Or even switch off the pump (when maintenance for instance)?

Apex can control MP's as long as you use the WXM module. As far as switching them on or off goes, I have mine physically plugged into an EB8 so that I can power them down. You can, however, use the switch in Fusion to stop the pump, run the pump at 100%, or use Auto to run your desired program without clogging up an EB8 outlet.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2017, 12:49 PM   #20
sfdan
Registered Member

I had 2 wav pumps in my 4x2x2 tank and couldn't quite get the flow I wanted so I got a 3rd. With the 3rd I really am quite happy with the flow in my tank and it still is cheaper than if I got 2 MP40s + the Neptune module. The aesthetics aren't great but honestly that isn't such a big deal to me.

Also for the people talking about cleaning is so hard, cleaning my wav pumps is really easy. The cords they supply are very long, so I just turn it off, pull it out of the water and drop it in a bucket of vinegar I bring over. Then turn it back on, wait a couple hours, then scrub it down with a brush, drop it in a bucket of RO/DI water to rinse and put it back in the tank. No unplugging, really not much effort at all. Not saying it is easier than cleaning an MP40 (I don't know), but its certainly not very difficult.

As for the MP40, I don't have any direct experience but I got a MP10 for a smaller frag tank and was honestly blown away by how broad the flow pattern was. For the negatives, the MP10 was more finicky to setup, is louder than the wavs, but the flow pattern is amazing.

I think if I had to do it again I think I'd just get 2 MP40s because it is simpler and there is less stuff in the tank, but to me the difference isn't so great I'd replace my wav setup. But still my 3 wav pumps cost less than 2 MP40s and the flow in my tank is great.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2017, 01:30 AM   #21
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdan View Post
I had 2 wav pumps in my 4x2x2 tank and couldn't quite get the flow I wanted so I got a 3rd. With the 3rd I really am quite happy with the flow in my tank and it still is cheaper than if I got 2 MP40s + the Neptune module. The aesthetics aren't great but honestly that isn't such a big deal to me.

Also for the people talking about cleaning is so hard, cleaning my wav pumps is really easy. The cords they supply are very long, so I just turn it off, pull it out of the water and drop it in a bucket of vinegar I bring over. Then turn it back on, wait a couple hours, then scrub it down with a brush, drop it in a bucket of RO/DI water to rinse and put it back in the tank. No unplugging, really not much effort at all. Not saying it is easier than cleaning an MP40 (I don't know), but its certainly not very difficult.

As for the MP40, I don't have any direct experience but I got a MP10 for a smaller frag tank and was honestly blown away by how broad the flow pattern was. For the negatives, the MP10 was more finicky to setup, is louder than the wavs, but the flow pattern is amazing.

I think if I had to do it again I think I'd just get 2 MP40s because it is simpler and there is less stuff in the tank, but to me the difference isn't so great I'd replace my wav setup. But still my 3 wav pumps cost less than 2 MP40s and the flow in my tank is great.
Thanks for sharing your experience !

Unread 08/11/2017, 05:21 AM   #22
wcharon
Registered Member

I am also in the same boat tyring to upgrade my 2 Jebao RW-15. The only factor that doesn't help me decide is that the WAV's has to be connected to the APEX which I have but I don't like all the eggs in the same basket.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 07:16 AM   #23
Zweebe
Registered Member

Ok, two Vortech MP40w QD with battery back-up is on their way to home!

Unread 01/06/2018, 08:55 PM   #24
nycman
Registered Member

Am done with my 3 MP40QDs. On 3/4 glass, they too often fall off - both wet and dry. I am replacing them with three WAVs. The programming and monitoring features with Apex are better than what the WXM module provides and the mounting reliability will be better. The MP40s are getting louder and louder, and vibration increasing. Yes they look good in the tank, but all that is lost given the need to mount them on the sides of the display. I plan to mount the 3 WAVs on my back wall, including one in the center in my ghost overflow, a configuration that I presently have in my freshwater planted peninsula setup. After an equal amount of time observing both, the WAVs are quieter than the Vortechs, and can have their direction adjusted to 20% up or down, left or right. And the overall price point better. Accepting offers for the the 3 MP40QDs with the WXM module and an array of additional mounting tabs and ties.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 09:40 PM   #25
Piper27
I love bengals

I am going with vortechs again in my new tank but am adding a tunze wavebox. Can't get any better than thoes two for keeping the tank clean and keeping flow high and random.
On a side note I have always wanted to get a tunze mounted on a oceanmotions or whatever thoes devices that turn the power heads side to side that mount over t he side of the tank. One of thoes and two vortechs and a tunze wavebox would be just perfect.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote