Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2017, 05:19 PM   #1
frankv702
Registered Member

Red Sea Reefer Algae Scrubber

Hey what's up guys, so my wife bought me a Red Sea reefer 250 for Father's Day this year and I love the tank! Two gripes I had with it were the ATO container placement/size, and the sump being too small for a seperate refugium. I decided to fix the issue since I had an ATO and a trigger crystal 5g ATO container. I ditched the ATO container that goes over the filter socks and made an enclosed matching algae scrubber. I just put it online fully yesterday and it's working pretty good so far! Looking forward to growth.

My stand is white so I decided to use a combination of white acrylic and clear acrylic. Then used schedule 8 piping and a true union ball valve so everything matches. It came out pretty nice! Let me know what you guys think.

Everything is built from the "ground" up. I'm using the makersled slim heatsinks and I have 4 660nm 3watt LEDs and 1 445nm royal blue led on each side for 30 watts total. I was going to use optics but didn't want to narrow the beam so left them with the regular 120* optics on the diode itself. I'm using a meanwell non dimmable driver. I have a few dimmable drivers I might toss one on if I need to lower the light intensity.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4090.jpg (35.5 KB, 82 views)
frankv702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 05:20 PM   #2
frankv702
Registered Member

Fits like a glove.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4084.jpg (33.2 KB, 74 views)
Unread 08/04/2017, 05:22 PM   #3
frankv702
Registered Member

I'll snap some more pictures once I start getting growth on it. I have enough material for a second one so I may make another and toss it up for sale or give it to the local feeding club to raffle off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4082.jpg (53.5 KB, 61 views)
Unread 08/05/2017, 05:12 AM   #4
monks600
Registered Member

That looks smart, fits nicely too! That's my only gripe with my reefer is the size of the sump. Either way scrubber looks on point and fits perfectly in yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

monks600 is offline   Reply With Quote