Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2017, 04:18 PM   #1
ecarrillo046
Registered Member

DIY 10 Gallon Sump Question

So I plan on using a MJ 1200 Pump for my return on the sump. It's roughly 295 gph.

My display tank is a 40 gallon breeder.

Would this pump be good enough for my sump?

I just happen to have 2 of these lying around and if I can use them in my sump it'd be better than them collecting dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecarrillo046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 07:48 PM   #2
rocsec1
Registered Member

It depends on what the height to the tank is. The higher the water has to go the bigger the pump you need.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 08:34 PM   #3
ecarrillo046
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocsec1 View Post
It depends on what the height to the tank is. The higher the water has to go the bigger the pump you need.
Measured from the top of display to bottom of the sump. It's roughly 2 feet distance.

I'd also be using this overflow if it helps at all

https://youtu.be/UZytENJZtJw

Unread 08/07/2017, 04:12 AM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I would strongly reconsider. That overflow is not reliable or safe IMHO. Pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have 2 feet of head, an mj1200 will be fine, though on the low side. It really depends on what flow you want through the sump and what other flow you have in the tank, there is no single right or wrong answer.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 01:08 PM   #5
ecarrillo046
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
I would strongly reconsider. That overflow is not reliable or safe IMHO. Pretty much a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have 2 feet of head, an mj1200 will be fine, though on the low side. It really depends on what flow you want through the sump and what other flow you have in the tank, there is no single right or wrong answer.

If you have one to recommend for an overflow please let me know! Besides that, glass baffles, and a light for the refugium portion I want to say I'm ready to at least get the sump started. Once I have the sump at least started I plan to upgrade to pump to either a sicce 2.0 or a Rio 2100.

So if you can recommend a overflow that'd be awesome!

Unread 08/07/2017, 07:14 PM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

The best option is always to drill the tank. If you're willing to do that, you can get any of the popular kits, or build your own box. A multi-sandpipe design (Herbie or Beananimal) would be the best, but even a plain old Durso is fine in a smaller tank.

If you can't drill, honestly I'd just consider going with one of the hang-on overflow boxes from a mainstream brand. It'll be more reliable than that design, at least.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 08/07/2017, 10:03 PM   #7
ecarrillo046
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
The best option is always to drill the tank. If you're willing to do that, you can get any of the popular kits, or build your own box. A multi-sandpipe design (Herbie or Beananimal) would be the best, but even a plain old Durso is fine in a smaller tank.

If you can't drill, honestly I'd just consider going with one of the hang-on overflow boxes from a mainstream brand. It'll be more reliable than that design, at least.

Could you link to a couple kits on Amazon or other site? I found a couple but not sure on the quality of them. I'd be willing to drill just have to keep my eye out on tanks for sale on Craigslist to drill

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:42 PM   #8
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to pick a kit since I've always made my own from scratch. I know there are at least a few vendors selling ghost-style kits right now, which seem to have a great reputation. Maybe a vendor like Bulk Reef Supply would have something.