Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 08/14/2017, 10:20 PM   #1
newsalt
Registered Member
 
newsalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,259
Want a Zoa Tank

I'm wanting to start a zoa tank in my 180g. I've made many trys at it, but every time I zoa frag, within a week the frag withers away and dies. Aside from the usual ammonia, nitrate, nitrite parameters, are there any other specific parameters I need to keep in check? The tank is a 180g with Aqua Illumination Sol Blue LED lighting. Two MP40s for flow. Fish are a pair of clowns, hippo tang, kole tang, wrasse, and magestic angel.

Any advice would be appreciated.


newsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2017, 09:10 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member
 
mike61289's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsalt View Post
I'm wanting to start a zoa tank in my 180g. I've made many trys at it, but every time I zoa frag, within a week the frag withers away and dies. Aside from the usual ammonia, nitrate, nitrite parameters, are there any other specific parameters I need to keep in check? The tank is a 180g with Aqua Illumination Sol Blue LED lighting. Two MP40s for flow. Fish are a pair of clowns, hippo tang, kole tang, wrasse, and magestic angel.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Are you sure the majestic angel isn't nibbling on them? They're known to feed on zoas.

Besides that, what are your steps for fragging? Telling us how you do it might help us see if it's all being done correctly.


__________________
Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming... Just keep swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swim swim!
mike61289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Bulldog88
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 52
[QUOTE=mike61289;25181854]Are you sure the majestic angel isn't nibbling on them? They're known to feed on zoas.

Agree


Bulldog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2017, 02:02 PM   #4
newsalt
Registered Member
 
newsalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,259
Majestic Angel could be the culprit. I Haven't started making the tank into a zoa tank. It's something I want to do, but since the zoas keep dying I wanted to know if there are any specific water parameters I need to keep in check an if my Aqua Illumination Sol Blue LED lighting is good for keeping zoas.


newsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member
 
Pandagobyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsalt View Post
Majestic Angel could be the culprit. I Haven't started making the tank into a zoa tank. It's something I want to do, but since the zoas keep dying I wanted to know if there are any specific water parameters I need to keep in check an if my Aqua Illumination Sol Blue LED lighting is good for keeping zoas.
Zoas really dont care... mine dont do well in like sps type flow but everything else they are fine. I would watch the tank for a while to see if its getting eaten

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Pandagobyguy
Registered Member
 
Pandagobyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandagobyguy View Post
Zoas really dont care... mine dont do well in like sps type flow but everything else they are fine. I would watch the tank for a while to see if its getting eaten

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I meant strong water flow in case that wasnt clear

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


Pandagobyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014