Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2017, 09:08 PM   #1
Toadfish30
Registered Member

Anemone lesions - is this bad??

Hello

About a week ago we introduced a BTA into our tank. All has been going well until today when we noticed what look like lesions or small holes on the anemone. It looks like internal organs are protruding from the lesions. The tank parameters are good - no nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and our salinity is spot on (35).

The BTA has not yet bound itself to a spot, and so has been moving about the tank, so we have considered that it might have torn its skin.

Tank mates include hermit crabs, clownfish, cardinal fish, peppermint shrimp, snails, and a blenny. So we do not think it is being predated on (?).

Can someone help diagnose what is happening to the BTA? It was mostly inflated throughout the day, but it does not look as healthy as it did. On the plus side, it ate some shrimp tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts - all ideas are most welcome!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BTA 1.jpg (50.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-08-15 11.58.23.jpg (54.4 KB, 28 views)
Toadfish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 01:59 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

To Reef Central

I've never seen spots like that. You might be right about it being a lesion. If so, that's likely a bad sign. Has it been eating?

Unread 08/16/2017, 02:01 PM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks like small tears. Might heal if it is otherwise healthy but it's not a good sign that it won't attach.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Looks like small tears. Might heal if it is otherwise healthy but it's not a good sign that it won't attach.
I agree.

They appear to be mesenterial filaments, typically exposed when an anemone is forcibly removed from a rock.

It also appears to be bleached. Check your water parameters and keep them stable. It should recover given enough time, as long as it does not become infected.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish30 View Post
Tank mates include hermit crabs, clownfish, cardinal fish, peppermint shrimp, snails, and a blenny. So we do not think it is being predated on (?).
Watch the peppermint shrimp. I have not had good experiences with them in the past with lps coral or anemones. Mostly stealing food, but some damage.

People have also had no issues with them so I would just be careful.

Unread 08/16/2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Toadfish30
Registered Member

I've never seen spots like that. You might be right about it being a lesion. If so, that's likely a bad sign. Has it been eating?[/QUOTE]

-------
Thanks for the response. Regarding eating, it has eaten twice since we saw the lesions and seemed to take food as usual. But, interestingly, it has completely collapsed twice like we had not seen before, and then rebounded later to fully inflate. It appears to be on its "last legs", but not having had a BTA before we have no point of reference.

Unread 08/16/2017, 07:30 PM   #7
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
But, interestingly, it has completely collapsed twice like we had not seen before, and then rebounded later to fully inflate. It appears to be on its "last legs", but not having had a BTA before we have no point of reference.
Constant deflation/inflation is not good. It depends on how often it occurs. Normally more often when first introduced to a new tank and as it acclimates it will develop a "schedule" of deflation/inflation, maybe once at night or so.

If you could post picture updates of the anemone, it may help people make suggestions as they may have had similar experience.

If it is really dead, then it will physically come apart and melt. Until then there is a chance of recovery.

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Toadfish30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M. View Post
Constant deflation/inflation is not good. It depends on how often it occurs. Normally more often when first introduced to a new tank and as it acclimates it will develop a "schedule" of deflation/inflation, maybe once at night or so.

If you could post picture updates of the anemone, it may help people make suggestions as they may have had similar experience.

If it is really dead, then it will physically come apart and melt. Until then there is a chance of recovery.

Here are a couple new photos from this morning. It moved during the night, and the "tears" have progressed so that more of the filaments have come out. You can see the larger volume in the attached photos. We will double check the water parameters - I did not notice that it might be bleached, so thanks for pointing that out. The rocks are pretty rough in some areas in the tank, so wondering if it might have snagged itself somehow? Although it would seem that they would have evolved away from that happening over the past millennia....

The shrimp and clownfish steal food from the anemone, but we have not seen aggressive nipping or anything like that.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.

Unread 08/17/2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Toadfish30
Registered Member

Sorry for double-posting this morning, but here are the photos I forgot to attach to earlier post.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170817_083348.jpg (74.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20170817_083408.jpg (52.5 KB, 26 views)
Unread 08/17/2017, 08:58 AM   #10
pfan151
Registered Member

Looks like you'll end up losing that one.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry for double-posting this morning, but here are the photos I forgot to attach to earlier post.
I would guess there is something in your tank doing the damage. If you had another tank that has been up and running with stable parameters, I would move the bta.

If you can get or diy a containment for the bta, I would do that. Basically a decently sized plastic container would work. Drill a bunch of holes in the sides to allow good water flow and secure the container in a top corner of the tank away from direct light.

I would inspect the tank about two hours after lights out or if you happen to be awake in the middle of the night. If you have live rock/ rocks from coral purchases, you may have a hitchhiker you have not seen during the day. Or the peppermint.

Unread 08/17/2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Lance M.
Registered Member

Also, how old is your tank? The rocks, sand, and back glass look really clean.

Unread 08/17/2017, 06:32 PM   #13
davocean
Registered Member

I once had an LTA that had similar issues, and while watching it and lifting to get a good look I saw a group of huge bristle or fireworms, like 2 feet long.
I trapped the worms, and I'm not sure if they were the cause or just a secondary issue, that LTA did not make it, but the Malu I placed in the same spot had no issues.
Both nems were perfectly fine on intro.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2017, 09:13 PM   #14
Toadfish30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M. View Post
Also, how old is your tank? The rocks, sand, and back glass look really clean.
We will try to DIY a refuge for the anemone and I'll take a look at night to see if something is hitchiking - that seems like a good idea. As for the tank age, we are at 4 months, with a pretty stable water system. Interestingly, we seem to have lost some of the algae coverage we had a month ago - not sure if this is linked to the anemone damage but something to think about I suppose.

Today the anemone actually looks better than it has for several weeks - the tips are more inflated and it is inflated more than in many many days. The side still looks terrible, but its behavior / vigor is improved. Not dead yet!